Contribute
Register

pastrychef's Asus ROG Strix Z370-G Gaming (WI-FI AC) build w/ i9-9900K + AMD 6600 XT

Sorry @pastrychef it's been a while and been very busy lately. Glad your hack is working perfectly with the iMacPro1,1 definition.

So I'm assuming you now disable the iGPU?
What about Quicksync now the iGPU is disabled? Out of curiosity can you still have the iGPU enabled with the iMacPro1,1 definition?

I've been running into a few random darkwakes too from the iMac19,1 definition too so I'm looking to switch definitions

Yes, I currently have IGPU disabled. Some people have IGPU enabled with iMacPro1,1 but I haven't personally tried that yet.

Obviously, we lose Quick Sync with IGPU disabled, but the changes in the way graphics is handled in macOS 10.14.5 pretty much negate any disadvantages to having Quick Sync disabled. As far as I can tell, h.264 and HEVC are handled perfectly now. I use the Sony Food Fizzle demo video in QuickTime as a test. This video will bring Skylake and older systems to its knees but it's buttery smooth with iMacPro1,1 system definition in 10.14.5.

As for encoding, all those who have been using iMacPro1,1 system definition with FCPX seem to have no complaints. There are a few users who have been experiencing slow GPU performance, but that's a separate issue.

The darkwakes was probably the primary reason that triggered me to try iMacPro1,1 and it's been a revelation.

But you're saying this for headless mode, right? I mean RX560 primary IGPU is headless mode?

Cause I tried this;
Latest Clover
Latest WEG
IGPU primary in BIOS
AAPL,ig-platform-id 0300983E
device-id 983E0000

The result is kernel panic on boot.

My display does not have a DP port, only have DVI-D and HDMI. Maybe I must test first DVI-D then try IGPU primary.

It doesn't matter. Headless or IGPU only, Clover should detect and set everything correctly for you.

Why are you setting IGPU as primary in BIOS when you have an RX 560? If you have a dGPU, the dGPU should be set to primary in BIOS and monitors should only be connected to the dGPU.

If you are using IGPU only, there's nothing to set in BIOS other than to allocated enough RAM to IGPU.

Have you tried leaving ig-platform-id and device-id blank in your config.plist and just letting Clover do everything for you?

It doesn't matter. Headless or IGPU only, Clover should detect and set everything correctly for you.

Why are you setting IGPU as primary in BIOS when you have an RX 560? If you have a dGPU, the dGPU should be set to primary in BIOS and monitors should only be connected to the dGPU.

If you are using IGPU only, there's nothing to set in BIOS other than to allocated enough RAM to IGPU.

Have you tried leaving ig-platform-id and device-id blank in your config.plist and just letting Clover do everything for you?

I want to make a test. is this problem from my RX560 or something else? That's why I am trying to make IGPU only setup. If I still lose my screen on IGPU that does it mean there is no problem on my RX560.

DVMT-Pre-Allocated 64M
DVMT-Total gfx Mem 256M on BIOS

I will test now just like you said leaving everything blank on Graphics and Devices section and will try to boot like this with and without WEG also.

I want to make a test. is this problem from my RX560 or something else? That's why I am trying to make IGPU only setup. If I still lose my screen on IGPU that does it mean there is no problem on my RX560.

DVMT-Pre-Allocated 64M
DVMT-Total gfx Mem 256M on BIOS

I will test now just like you said leaving everything blank on Graphics and Devices section and will try to boot like this with and without WEG also.

Ah... I see...

It's not surprising that you get kernel panic with 3E9B0003. That's the "headless" setting. That means macOS will not find any video out if your RX 560 has been pulled.

I think that if you really want to enter the information manually, you will have to use 3E9B0007. But, honestly, the easiest/cleanest/simplest way to do it would be to just leave all that up to Clover to handle.

Ah... I see...

It's not surprising that you get kernel panic with 3E9B0003. That's the "headless" setting. That means macOS will not find any video out if your RX 560 has been pulled.

I think that if you really want to enter the information manually, you will have to use 3E9B0007. But, honestly, the easiest/cleanest/simplest way to do it would be to just leave all that up to Clover to handle.

Ok here is the test results;

IGPU Primary
All Graphics and Devices Section Empty
With WEG

I am getting Kernel Panic

IGPU Primary
Without WEG

After finish the verbose, the monitor goes to sleep.

I used this black screen patch but didn't help;

Last edited:
Ok here is the test results;

IGPU Primary
With WEG

I am getting Kernel Panic

IGPU Primary
Without WEG

After finish the verbose, the monitor goes to sleep.

I used this black screen patch but didn't help;

View attachment 414357

Which system definition are you using?

What kind of monitor? 4K?

What kind of connection? HDMI?

Are you able to see BIOS with IGPU only?

Please post your EFI folder.

Last edited:
Which system definition are you using?

What kind of monitor? 4K?

What kind of connection? HDMI?

Are you able to see BIOS with IGPU only?

Please post your EFI folder.
SMBIOS 19,1

Old HDMI display with two port HDMI and DVI-D HP 2711

Yes Initial output IGFX is primary and Internal GPU is set IGPU

Here is my EFI I also attached ioreg.

Attachments

• Archive.zip
    3.7 MB · Views: 80
The increase fan speed is to help cool the VRM better, not the CPU.

I've checked in BIOS and now I have 60C/140F for PCH temperature ... isn't it a bit too high?

I've checked in BIOS and now I have 60C/140F for PCH temperature ... isn't it a bit too high?

I don't know. I've never looked at PCH temps.

SMBIOS 19,1

Old HDMI display with two port HDMI and DVI-D HP 2711

Yes Initial output IGFX is primary and Internal GPU is set IGPU

Here is my EFI I also attached ioreg.

Please make a backup of your existing EFI folder and try this one.

Attachments

• Archive.zip
    3.8 MB · Views: 92
Back