Contribute
Register

pastrychef's Asus ROG Strix Z370-G Gaming (WI-FI AC) build w/ i9-9900K + AMD 6600 XT

We tried all 3 DisplayPorts and they all end up with the same black screen.

I turned on verbose logging and the boot process seems to die with a gIOScreenLockState value of 3. When I have seen this in the past, it was an Aptio memory issue, which I thought was solved by the latest AptioMemoryFix driver, which we are using. We switched back to OsxAptioFix3Drv, with and without Radeon DeInit checked and haven't had any luck.

Any other ideas?

If memory serves me correctly, I didn't need RadeonDeInit when I was on High Sierra. With the latest versions of WhateverGreen, that shouldn't be used anyway.

gIOScreenLockState is definitely a graphics error. If your previous problems were solved by changing to a different Aptio fix, it was most likely due to NVRAM not having the nvda_drv=1 to enable the Nvidia web drivers. This should not be an issue for a Vega.

My only guess is that the non-standard ports of your particular Vega card does not play well with macOS. I don't know if WhateverGreen has any fix for this. Try checking the Github page to see if there are any arguments that can be enabled to help with non-standard port configurations.

Here's Super Mario Cart running in the Dolphin emulator running in the HyperSpin frontend running in a Windows virtual machine running on macOS running on my hackintosh.

Screen Shot 2019-01-04 at 3.21.15 PM.png

It looks like emulated Startup Chime is finally coming to Clover!!!

Screen Shot 2019-01-05 at 5.10.25 AM.png

Here's Super Mario Cart running in the Dolphin emulator running in the HyperSpin frontend running in a Windows virtual machine running on macOS running on my hackintosh.

Some games are just best experienced from the sofa!

It looks like emulated Startup Chime is finally coming to Clover!!!

Wouldn't you need a PC speaker for that?

@pastrychef, why do you patch?

HDAS -> HDEF
GFX0 -> IGPU
PEGP -> GFX0
HECI -> IMEI
EHC1 -> EH01
EHC2 -> EH02
XHCI -> XHC
MEI -> IMEI
PPMC->PMCR

When I patch HEXs I see those messages inside the boot.log

6:003 0:000 0. [change HDAS to HDEF]: pattern 48444153, bin not found / already patched!
6:003 0:000 1. [change GFX0 to IGPU]: pattern 47465830, bin not found / already patched!
6:003 0:000 2. [change HECI to IMEI]: pattern 48454349, bin not found / already patched!
6:003 0:000 3. [change EHC1 to EH01]: pattern 45484331, bin not found / already patched!
6:003 0:000 4. [change EHC2 to EH02]: pattern 45484332, bin not found / already patched!

I removed all patches and everything is working as aspected and the messages disappear. Do I miss something in my thoughts?

Some games are just best experienced from the sofa!

Wouldn't you need a PC speaker for that?

Yes. I'm in the process of setting up an emulation machine to be connected to the TV with a gamepad that has a very long cable. :thumbup:

It looks like they are adding audio support for the most common codecs.

Last edited:
@pastrychef, why do you patch?

HDAS -> HDEF
GFX0 -> IGPU
PEGP -> GFX0
HECI -> IMEI
EHC1 -> EH01
EHC2 -> EH02
XHCI -> XHC
MEI -> IMEI
PPMC->PMCR

When I patch HEXs I see those messages inside the boot.log

6:003 0:000 0. [change HDAS to HDEF]: pattern 48444153, bin not found / already patched!
6:003 0:000 1. [change GFX0 to IGPU]: pattern 47465830, bin not found / already patched!
6:003 0:000 2. [change HECI to IMEI]: pattern 48454349, bin not found / already patched!
6:003 0:000 3. [change EHC1 to EH01]: pattern 45484331, bin not found / already patched!
6:003 0:000 4. [change EHC2 to EH02]: pattern 45484332, bin not found / already patched!

I removed all patches and everything is working as aspected and the messages disappear. Do I miss something in my thoughts?

They all date back to when Lilu and its plugins weren't doing the patching yet. It doesn't do any harm if a kexts already does the patching. But having them there insures that they will be patched if the kexts are not present so I just left them.

Thank you for your explanation. I'll stick with my configuration but keep your answer in mind!

Back