Contribute
Register

pastrychef's Asus ROG Strix Z370-G Gaming (WI-FI AC) build w/ i9-9900K + AMD Vega 56

pastrychef

Motherboard
Gigabyte Z390 M Gaming
CPU
i9-9900K OC'd @ 5.0GHz
Graphics
Radeon VII
Mac
MacBook, Mac Pro
Classic Mac
iBook, Power Mac, PowerBook
Mobile Phone
iOS
BTW... Scratch that, I just updated FCP to 10.4.7 because it "has better support for Vega II, Metal, bla, bla" and my results are only 12 seconds on the first benchmark pass, after that, it gets increasingly slower, by the third pass it's more than 24 seconds.
I give up troubleshooting FCP, performance changes back and forth with every OS or FCP update, there's zero to no info out there so I'll probably switch to DaVinci Resolve for video editing.

On another note, when using the USB SSDT and uia_exclude we have to disable all these patches right?:
View attachment 429787
Supposedly, FCPX performance on Catalina is much improved from Mojave.

Yes, disable or delete all of those once you have a proper USB 15 port limit fix in place.

pastrychef

Motherboard
Gigabyte Z390 M Gaming
CPU
i9-9900K OC'd @ 5.0GHz
Graphics
Radeon VII
Mac
MacBook, Mac Pro
Classic Mac
Mobile Phone
iOS
But you manually clocked it? right?
When I was using my RAM in my Z170 and Z370 builds, I just used the XMP profiles. When I use the same RAM in my Z390, I manually set everything.

Motherboard
Gigabyte Z370 Gaming 5
CPU
I9 9900k
Graphics
Vega 64
Mac
Mac mini, Mac Pro
Mobile Phone
iOS
When I was using my RAM in my Z170 and Z370 builds, I just used the XMP profiles. When I use the same RAM in my Z390, I manually set everything.
Got it. I was referring to currently, I know other people have no issues with XMP like your self in your older builds. I have just found it to not like me.

pastrychef

Motherboard
Gigabyte Z390 M Gaming
CPU
i9-9900K OC'd @ 5.0GHz
Graphics
Radeon VII
Mac
MacBook, Mac Pro
Classic Mac
Mobile Phone
iOS
Got it. I was referring to currently, I know other people have no issues with XMP like your self in your older builds. I have just found it to not like me.
It seems that XMP is very motherboard (and maybe CPU) dependent. Definitely not a one size fits all situation.

Motherboard
Gigabyte Z370 Gaming 5
CPU
I9 9900k
Graphics
Vega 64
Mac
Mac mini, Mac Pro
Mobile Phone
iOS
It seems that XMP is very motherboard (and maybe CPU) dependent. Definitely not a one size fits all situation.
I am not sure about that I tried 8 Sticks of memory, 5 Video cards 4 CPU, 3 Motherboard, 2 power supply, 1 case. Sounds almost like a Christmas song lol XMP was bad for me always.

pastrychef

Motherboard
Gigabyte Z390 M Gaming
CPU
i9-9900K OC'd @ 5.0GHz
Graphics
Radeon VII
Mac
MacBook, Mac Pro
Classic Mac
Mobile Phone
iOS
I am not sure about that I tried 8 Sticks of memory, 5 Video cards 4 CPU, 3 Motherboard, 2 power supply, 1 case. Sounds almost like a Christmas song lol XMP was bad for me always.
My understanding is that much of it depends on the integrated memory controller on the CPUs. Then, you have motherboard implementations to contend with... That's why there's always a disclaimer on XMP RAM product pages.

It took me a while to figure out what was causing some of the instability with my Z390 build. Then I looked at the G.Skill RAM configurator and realized that they sold 3200MHz and 3600MHz RAM for my motherboard but nothing in between. That's when it dawned on me that it might be my 3400MHz RAM or it's clock/timings...

Motherboard
Gigabyte Z370 Gaming 5
CPU
I9 9900k
Graphics
Vega 64
Mac
Mac mini, Mac Pro
Mobile Phone
iOS
My understanding is that much of it depends on the integrated memory controller on the CPUs. Then, you have motherboard implementations to contend with... That's why there's always a disclaimer on XMP RAM product pages.

It took me a while to figure out what was causing some of the instability with my Z390 build. Then I looked at the G.Skill RAM configurator and realized that they sold 3200MHz and 3600MHz RAM for my motherboard but nothing in between. That's when it dawned on me that it might be my 3400MHz RAM or it's clock/timings...
I see and that totally could have been my issue, since the base clock of the memory for the system 2800 but my memory is only 2666.. Also slower and faster but I do not know the other speeds I would have to look at them.

Motherboard
Asus Z370 Prime A II
CPU
i9-9900K
Graphics
VEGA VII
Mac
MacBook Pro
Mobile Phone
iOS
I didn't even try to configure OpenCore for my Z390 yet. It took quite a bit of time just to get a semi-reliable Clover EFI configured. Lack of NVRAM support is a royal PITA...

For the past week, I have been trying to figure out what is the best/most reliable overclocks to run my CPU and RAM at.
I'm trying to setup a Z390 (asus Prime A) system too... and I'm encountering some caveats... can you share your config.plist? I would like to be sure that i'm doing in the right direction. Thanks!

You also mentioned that you upgraded to Radeon VII solely for Windows games, but have you also experienced some better performance under MacOS?

pastrychef

Motherboard
Gigabyte Z390 M Gaming
CPU
i9-9900K OC'd @ 5.0GHz
Graphics
Radeon VII
Mac
MacBook, Mac Pro
Classic Mac
Mobile Phone
iOS
I'm trying to setup a Z390 (asus Prime A) system too... and I'm encountering some caveats... can you share your config.plist? I would like to be sure that i'm doing in the right direction. Thanks!

You also mentioned that you upgraded to Radeon VII solely for Windows games, but have you also experienced some better performance under MacOS?
My EFI may or may not work for you OOB. You may encounter Aptio fix problems, i.e. stopping at "End random seed". If this happens, try resetting the system a few times to see if it helps. If not, try changing the Aptio fix driver by replacing OsxAptioFix3Drv with AptioMemoryFix, OsxAptioFixDrv, etc.

Be careful with OsxAptioFix2Drv-free2000. The dev of that driver has warned against its use for fear of damaging users' hardware.

Everything else should work fine on Z390. Keep in mind that I have it configured for iMacPro1,1 and IGPU should be disabled in BIOS. Also, remember to populate Serial, Board Serial, and UUID.

The Radeon VII has been running great on macOS. I really don't do enough to take full advantage of it, but based on benchmarks, it's much better than my old Vega 56 and it consumes less power and runs cooler.

Attachments

Motherboard
Asus Z370 Prime A II
CPU
i9-9900K
Graphics
VEGA VII
Mac
MacBook Pro
Mobile Phone
iOS
My EFI may or may not work for you OOB. You may encounter Aptio fix problems, i.e. stopping at "End random seed". If this happens, try resetting the system a few times to see if it helps. If not, try changing the Aptio fix driver by replacing OsxAptioFix3Drv with AptioMemoryFix, OsxAptioFixDrv, etc.

Be careful with OsxAptioFix2Drv-free2000. The dev of that driver has warned against its use for fear of damaging users' hardware.

Everything else should work fine on Z390. Keep in mind that I have it configured for iMacPro1,1 and IGPU should be disabled in BIOS. Also, remember to populate Serial, Board Serial, and UUID.
THANK YOU!

I'm experimenting with Aptiofix drivers and with my Asus Z390 Prime A, and it seems that AptioMemoryFix is working just fine (Clover v. 5070); everything else is working fine too: sleep/wake, USB ports (with devices that survive correctly to sleep/wake cycles). I'm installed EMUVariableUEFI and related RC script on boot volume. The only thing is that:

• if I chance something in BIOS then I'm unable to boot (HALT on boot). Then I have to press F11 to clean up NVRAM and then everything is going fine again. Which is pretty disappointed, are you experiencing the same with your GA Z390?
  • I've experienced a couple of random freezes in MacOS, both after the wakeup.. but I really don't know what they could be related to...
Another thing I've noted is that your config has a lot of patches in ACPI->DSDT section and, also, much more Fixes enabled than mine's. But I don't know if those are related strictly to your motherboard or if they are more related to the "Z390" world.

Here is my config attached (I just strip out the serial's related info). Please have a look. Thanks!

Attachments