Contribute
Register

pastrychef's Asus ROG Strix Z370-G Gaming (WI-FI AC) build w/ i9-9900K + AMD 6600 XT

Boot using your USB macOS installer. Then follow snoopy69's directions.
Now i hava a installer,and version 4.5.3 in my usb,and i can enter recovery mode,but still don't know what to do

Now i hava a installer,and version 4.5.3 in my usb,and i can enter recovery mode,but still don't know what to do

1. Spam F8 immediately after powering on the computer.
  2. Select your USB installer at the BIOS boot menu.
  3. At the Clover boot menu, select your main system drive.
  4. Once you are booted in to macOS, you can update your EFI folder.

I tried to send you a pm, but apparently, i'm not allowed to. Hmm.....the question I had is not directly related to this thread, that's why I didn't post it.....

@pastrychef,

Confirming that three 4K displays are working with this config off a single Vega 64 graphics card without any issues or modifications required. I would test connecting a 4th display and theoretically another 4 to the second Vega 64 card should be possible as well.

I am now taking apart the whole system and starting the water cooling custom loop. Everything to go into a Lian Li O11 Dynamic with three 360 radiators. Will report and post some pics later on. Thanks again for your support and sharing that great build!

Last edited:
Wow. That's really bad luck. I have three 8TB drives in my build. They are the old, cheap Seagate 8TB Archive drives. They are slow, but have been reliable, so far...
One is a Seagate that was installed on December 5 2018. DriveDx said it was failing, Acronis said "You cannot write to disk, back up soon". The other is a refurbed HGST Helium that was a replacement for another HGST refurb that failed. I have a third Seagate 8tb that is still healthy. Started a claim with Seagate. Ordered two WD Red Pros (5 year warrantee) with 3 year Data Rescue (I hope this isn't a waste of money for the Rescue). My studio manager gave me a dressing down for trying to save money (with cheap drives) on what is in actuality my life's work as a Professional (read: making money) Artist/Photographer. If I lose these files, I'm really up the creek. Any recommendations for file recovery software?
Screen Shot 2019-04-01 at 5.10.53 PM.png

Any recommendations for file recovery software?

Sorry. I haven't tried to recover data from failed drives...

I have been relying on redundancy to protect against failed drives for quite a few years now and it has served me well.

Sorry. I haven't tried to recover data from failed drives...

I have been relying on redundancy to protect against failed drives for quite a few years now and it has served me well.
You would think that with 29tb of storage that this would have happened...

You would think that with 29tb of storage that this would have happened...

I have an eight drive array with dual disk redundancy. This means that even of two out of the eight drives die on me at the same time, my data is still safe. This setup has maintained my data for quite a long time and I highly recommend it to anyone who values their data.

I have an eight drive array with dual disk redundancy. This means that even of two out of the eight drives die on me at the same time, my data is still safe. This setup has maintained my data for quite a long time and I highly recommend it to anyone who values their data.
Sage advice. Do you use an enclosure and if so, which enclosure do you use?

Sage advice. Do you use an enclosure and if so, which enclosure do you use?

I built an XPEnology NAS (it's like hackintosh for Synology). When I first experimented with it, I built it off of an Intel SS4200 NAS that I bought used from eBay for about $80. This was a four bay NAS and I just installed the XPEnology bootloader and used the Synology DSM 5.0. It worked beautifully.

After falling deeply in love with the Synology DSM, I built a custom eight bay NAS using a Silverstone DS380 case and ASRock C2550D4I motherboard. This gave me hot swap bays so I can swap out bad drives and/or upgrade drives to increase capacity without having to shut down. I also added 10GBase-T to give me high speed access to the data (approx 800MB/s reads). All of this is attached to an APC UPS so that it can shut down cleanly in the event of a power failure. This setup helped keep my data safe even through Hurricane Sandy.

In my opinion, the Synology DSM operating system is about as macOS-like as a NAS can possibly get in terms of user friendliness. Everything is done through a GUI that is accesses via a web browser. It's also extremely powerful and capacity can be easily expanded by swapping small drives with larger drives or adding more drives (extremely similar to how a Drobo works).

I even use the built-in SFTP server sometimes to share files with friends that are too large for email attachments or more conventional file sharing methods. One time, I had to help restore a MacBook Pro from a Carbon Copy Cloner image and my friend just sent the 150GB file over the internet to me rather than having to make an extra 1 hour trip to sneakernet the file to me. I also run Plex server on the NAS to serve media to my Apple TV.

It was my experience with the XPEnology bootloader that gave me the confidence to try and build a hackintosh. The theory behind both are quite similar. Use a bootloader (XPEnology or Clover) to trick operating systems (Synology DSM or macOS) in to thinking that off-the-shelf hardware is Synology or Apple hardware.

Last edited:
Back