Contribute
Register

pastrychef's Asus ROG Strix Z370-G Gaming (WI-FI AC) build w/ i9-9900K + AMD 6600 XT

In the past weeks, especially since upgrading to Mojave, I've been experiencing quite a lot of sudden shutdowns, seemingly related to CPU panics. Am I the only one experiencing this ?
... worth mentioning, these shutdowns happen when doing absolutely nothing cpu intensive, ie. moving a slider in Lightroom, not exporting. And clicking to apply a LUT in Premiere, not while exporting. Most somewhat graphically related.
Maybe its related to cpu-graphics, while we do have coffee-lake platform id, we do not have iMac's actually using it, so my imac18,3 SMBIOS maybe the problem ??! just thinking out in writing.

One of many reports attached.

I've been having this problem as well.
It's usually just a random shutdown and then I'd be greeted with a kernel panic screen the next time you boot up.
I just finished my build and installed Mojave. It's been driving me insane. I keep thinking it's the RAM or the graphic card. But Windows 10 runs smooth with heavy gaming so it cannot be that. I've tried to re-install Mojave 3 times now. Still happening at seemingly more frequent.

I am also using RX580. Could that be the culprit? Maybe I'll try to step back to High Sierra.

Last edited:
@popophobia Im absolutely sure its not hardware malfunctioning. This machine has been running smoothly for about 6 months now. I also have a windows installation which is rocksolid. The problem started around using EFI folder 4.3, which included the coffee-lake ig-platform-id for the IGPU. But it makes sense that you experience the problem if you just started with machine (and rx580) which means you’ll be using one of the newer EFI folders.

Last edited:
@pastrychef I have exchanged the EFI folders. Now using the one from Post #3479 . And I've tested applying LUTs in Premiere, which previously resulted in an immediate shutdown, that is working now. So far so good.
Just to elaborate - When I got to the computer to exchange the EFI, I was greeted with a "Your computer restarted becaused of a problem" - the shutdowns have also been happening without using the computer, so its definitely not workload related.
But the other "new/alternative" EFI folder seem to work fine so far, but I'll watch it over the next few days, before passing judgement.

@pastrychef This might sound strange but I'm trying to make a ASUS ATI Radeon HD 5850 work in this system. I followed the same build as you but I had a 980ti for my GPU instead. I just sold the 980ti and figured I would use an old AMD card until I get a replacement card. I haven't had any luck. Is this GPU not supported in High Sierra? Any ideas of what I could do to make this work?

@pastrychef This might sound strange but I'm trying to make a ASUS ATI Radeon HD 5850 work in this system. I followed the same build as you but I had a 980ti for my GPU instead. I just sold the 980ti and figured I would use an old AMD card until I get a replacement card. I haven't had any luck. Is this GPU not supported in High Sierra? Any ideas of what I could do to make this work?

To be very honest, I have no idea regarding the Radeon HD 5850. My experience with AMD cards is very limited and recent. Maybe @Gigamaxx can help with this.

I've been having this problem as well.
It's usually just a random shutdown and then I'd be greeted with a kernel panic screen the next time you boot up.
I just finished my build and installed Mojave. It's been driving me insane. I keep thinking it's the RAM or the graphic card. But Windows 10 runs smooth with heavy gaming so it cannot be that. I've tried to re-install Mojave 3 times now. Still happening at seemingly more frequent.

I am also using RX580. Could that be the culprit? Maybe I'll try to step back to High Sierra.

Please try the updated EFI folder in post #1 and see if it helps you. Copy your Serial, Board Serial, and UUID to the config.plist included in the new EFI.

My AMD 5450 card lost support in High Sierra. It needs a roll back of the Sierra graphics Kexts and then fix permissions and caches. So you will need to access the device ID you can find it in clover boot menu in graphics settings. Then check the Sierra Kexts for it and remove and save those Kexts. Then use kextbeast to Laos them to System/Library/Extensions folder. I would run kext wizard as well after addi for replacing them before reboot or a terminal method.

Thank you so much for your help!

Please try the updated EFI folder in post #1 and see if it helps you. Copy your Serial, Board Serial, and UUID to the config.plist included in the new EFI.
I'm using the new version now. So far it's been working.
Thank you :)

@pastrychef I have exchanged the EFI folders. Now using the one from Post #3479 . And I've tested applying LUTs in Premiere, which previously resulted in an immediate shutdown, that is working now. So far so good.
Just to elaborate - When I got to the computer to exchange the EFI, I was greeted with a "Your computer restarted becaused of a problem" - the shutdowns have also been happening without using the computer, so its definitely not workload related.
But the other "new/alternative" EFI folder seem to work fine so far, but I'll watch it over the next few days, before passing judgement.
Maybe try another drive. My upgrade to Mojave resulted in a similar problem. I kept getting "Your computer restarted because of a problem." I tried reformatting the drive with a few different methods with no success. Ended up exchanging my storage drive and my error message went away. Smooth sailing so far.

Back