Contribute
Register

pastrychef's Asus ROG Strix Z370-G Gaming (WI-FI AC) build w/ i9-9900K + AMD 6600 XT

Yes, I think this update patches a security issue with Intel ME.

The microcode is most probably to add support for the upcoming CPUs.

if it is so I think we have a major problem ... how will apple solve this?... software ? ...I ask because it's a hardware problem

if it is so I think we have a major problem ... how will apple solve this?... software ? ...I ask because it's a hardware problem

Apple pushes out firmware updates with macOS updates.

If you are talking about the Spectre/Meltodwn issues, I think workarounds were released quite a few months back.

Updated to BIOS 1412. Everything seems fine.

is it your turn to ask yourself?
do not think it's a problem that you can mask with software update ... what do you write to your updates? same thing ?

Yes, Spectre/Meltdown can not be completely fixed via software. Operating systems will need constant updating to block new exploits based on Spectre/Meltdown. That's why it is more important than ever to stay up to date with the latest operating system releases.

Upcoming Coffee Lake Refresh CPUs should include fixes for Spectre/Meltdown.

Yes, Spectre/Meltdown can not be completely fixed via software. Operating systems will need constant updating to block new exploits based on Spectre/Meltdown. That's why it is more important than ever to stay up to date with the latest operating system releases.

Upcoming Coffee Lake Refresh CPUs should include fixes for Spectre/Meltdown.

are you sure ? as far as I know and since I've read these two security threats are from the Intel x86 processor concept ... it's in its architecture ... defines the x86 concept ... how do you think it can cover a hole that was made in the 80's ?
so I'm inclined to believe that the theory of abandoning the Intel platform by Apple is true ... and the date it's going to happen is very close

are you sure ? as far as I know and since I've read these two security threats are from the Intel x86 processor concept ... it's in its architecture ... defines the x86 concept ... how do you think it can cover a hole that was made in the 80's ?
so I'm inclined to believe that the theory of abandoning the Intel platform by Apple is true ... and the date it's going to happen is very close

Correct. There's not true "fix". The only thing they can do is use workarounds to circumvent exploits. Again, that's why it's more important than ever to update to the latest operating system versions.

Future CPUs will have true fixes in hardware.

No one knows for sure if Apple will abandon Intel. Only Apple knows.

Correct. There's not true "fix". The only thing they can do is use workarounds to circumvent exploits. Again, that's why it's more important than ever to update to the latest operating system versions.

Future CPUs will have true fixes in hardware.

No one knows for sure if Apple will abandon Intel. Only Apple knows.

they are just gossip, but bad mouths say Mojave already contains code that is not for x86 ... we'll live and see ... :)

I finally put together the Hackintosh using this guide. Everything seems to work immediately after install, which is a surprise.

However, there are a few kinks i'm trying to work out. I notice that I would get kernel panic every time i leave a USB plugged in while booting up. I have applied the USB mapping patch from the first post. Not sure if this is a known issue.

The other problem is random unexpected reboot. I'm trying to figure out if it's the RAM or it's the software. It's always a pain to debug a faulty RAM.

I finally put together the Hackintosh using this guide. Everything seems to work immediately after install, which is a surprise.

However, there are a few kinks i'm trying to work out. I notice that I would get kernel panic every time i leave a USB plugged in while booting up. I have applied the USB mapping patch from the first post. Not sure if this is a known issue.

The other problem is random unexpected reboot. I'm trying to figure out if it's the RAM or it's the software. It's always a pain to debug a faulty RAM.

What USB device is causing panics? Do you get same panic when plugged to a different port? Triple check USB settings.

Do you get any panic report? My system is very stable. I have had uptimes of well over 40 days.

Also, as per forum rules, please update your profile to include your motherboard, CPU, and GPU.

Back