Contribute
Register

pastrychef's Asus ROG Strix Z370-G Gaming (WI-FI AC) build w/ i9-9900K + AMD 6600 XT

Hi, I tried to install Monterey on my system using the EFI OC 0.7.6 from post one (added my System Serial, UUID, Board serial, MAC address). Created a pendrive using the createinstallmedia process to create a bootable pendrive and then used EFI configurator to replace the EFI on the pendrive. In the BIOS selected the pendrive to boot from but unfortunately I had no success (returned to the BIOS). I also tried to selecting the "Disabled" SecureBootOption as presented on a screenshot. Initially my "Scan Policy" entry was 0, and I tried to enter here the 17760515 value (as visible on several shots in this post) - no success. If you have any suggestion what else i could try to "test" the bootable pendrive / to make it work pls let me know. Many thanks!

Did you ever see the OpenCore Boot Picker?

If not, redo the EFI partition on your USB flash drive. Copy the EFI folder to it again.

Hi @pastrychef,

I'm running this build (with an RX580 and an i7-8770K) on Monterey and it's working well. I do a lot of Final Cut Pro X stuff though, and Apple makes it difficult to see if things are running correctly (FCPX often doesn't max out real Mac hardware on exports). When I upgraded to your OpenCore EFI around November 1st (whichever one was the most recent EFI, I used), I used the iMacPro1,1 definition, but then I realized that the iMac Pro uses a Xeon and doesn't have an iGPU. So I generated a new SMBIOS and changed to iMac19,1. Now I can see my iGPU in Intel Power Gadget, but the "GFX Req" never goes above 0.33, and the "GFX Avg" never goes above about 0.35 (which I assume is a rounding error, should be 0.33), even when FCPX or Compressor is rendering. The attached screenshot shows Compressor rendering a FCPX project with a multi-cam edit, lots of color correction, some transformation, and some framerate conforming. It should be pounding the RX580 for all that, and encoding the resultant h.264 file on the iGPU. iStat Menus says FCPX/Compressor is using on average about 45% GPU time on the Radeon, and it appears the GPU utilization is that low because it's waiting for the iGPU to catch up with the h.264 encoding because the iGPU isn't clocking up past its base clock of 330MHz.

From what I could read on Wikipedia the UHD630 in the Coffee Lake CPUs will idle at 330MHz and clock up to 1.2GHz under load. I'm not an expert, but unless these stats aren't being reported to MacOS or Intel Power Gadget correctly, the iGPU is stuck in this low-power state. It seems to run fine at 330MHz, but it should be running at 1.2GHz and not taking so long to render.

I don't understand OpenCore at all in terms of hacking a config.plist on my own. I thought maybe there was a change in your config.plist due to your using an i9-9900K now, but it appears that the i9-9900K also uses the UHD630. Other than that I don't understand changing framebuffers or using WhateverGreen or anything. I do know that your Vega GPU has better support for encoding than the 580 does due to it being used in Macs without an iGPU, so this isn't an issue for your configuration anymore. But would you happen to have any idea what could be happening here so I can make my renders as fast as possible?

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2021-12-13 at 12.03.08 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2021-12-13 at 12.03.08 PM.png
    565.2 KB · Views: 29
Hi @pastrychef,

I'm running this build (with an RX580 and an i7-8770K) on Monterey and it's working well. I do a lot of Final Cut Pro X stuff though, and Apple makes it difficult to see if things are running correctly (FCPX often doesn't max out real Mac hardware on exports). When I upgraded to your OpenCore EFI around November 1st (whichever one was the most recent EFI, I used), I used the iMacPro1,1 definition, but then I realized that the iMac Pro uses a Xeon and doesn't have an iGPU. So I generated a new SMBIOS and changed to iMac19,1. Now I can see my iGPU in Intel Power Gadget, but the "GFX Req" never goes above 0.33, and the "GFX Avg" never goes above about 0.35 (which I assume is a rounding error, should be 0.33), even when FCPX or Compressor is rendering. The attached screenshot shows Compressor rendering a FCPX project with a multi-cam edit, lots of color correction, some transformation, and some framerate conforming. It should be pounding the RX580 for all that, and encoding the resultant h.264 file on the iGPU. iStat Menus says FCPX/Compressor is using on average about 45% GPU time on the Radeon, and it appears the GPU utilization is that low because it's waiting for the iGPU to catch up with the h.264 encoding because the iGPU isn't clocking up past its base clock of 330MHz.

From what I could read on Wikipedia the UHD630 in the Coffee Lake CPUs will idle at 330MHz and clock up to 1.2GHz under load. I'm not an expert, but unless these stats aren't being reported to MacOS or Intel Power Gadget correctly, the iGPU is stuck in this low-power state. It seems to run fine at 330MHz, but it should be running at 1.2GHz and not taking so long to render.

I don't understand OpenCore at all in terms of hacking a config.plist on my own. I thought maybe there was a change in your config.plist due to your using an i9-9900K now, but it appears that the i9-9900K also uses the UHD630. Other than that I don't understand changing framebuffers or using WhateverGreen or anything. I do know that your Vega GPU has better support for encoding than the 580 does due to it being used in Macs without an iGPU, so this isn't an issue for your configuration anymore. But would you happen to have any idea what could be happening here so I can make my renders as fast as possible?

If you want FCPX to use your RX 580, use iMacPro1,1 system definition and disable IGPU in BIOS.

If you want FCPX to use Quick Sync from the UHD630, use iMac19,1 and enable IGPU in BIOS.

I am using iMac19,1 and my IGPU is enabled in BIOS. Are you saying an iGPU clock speed of 330MHz under load is normal?

I don't know how the IGPU frequency reacts to FCPX, but if you are using iMac19,1 with IGPU enabled, FCPX will use it. If it were not working right, FCPX would crash.

Did you ever see the OpenCore Boot Picker?

If not, redo the EFI partition on your USB flash drive. Copy the EFI folder to it again.
Hi Pastry,

It's a success! (No, I have not ever seen the OpenCore Boot picker earlier, but after creating a brand new usb pedrive - 16GB this time instead of a 32GB - copying the EFI partition after creating a bootable Monterey install - finally - succeeded! Many thanks for the simple - but extremely useful advise!

I initiated the install till the next screen (Start Safari, Disk Utility, etc...) and also saw that Disk Utility successfully recognized the current Catalina install on the Samsung SSD 970 Pro 512GB NVME device.

I read many posts about Samsung NVME incompatibility with Monterey. Would you suggest to procceed with a fresh install on this specific Samsung NVME? Thanks.

Hi Pastry,

It's a success! (No, I have not ever seen the OpenCore Boot picker earlier, but after creating a brand new usb pedrive - 16GB this time instead of a 32GB - copying the EFI partition after creating a bootable Monterey install - finally - succeeded! Many thanks for the simple - but extremely useful advise!

I initiated the install till the next screen (Start Safari, Disk Utility, etc...) and also saw that Disk Utility successfully recognized the current Catalina install on the Samsung SSD 970 Pro 512GB NVME device.

I read many posts about Samsung NVME incompatibility with Monterey. Would you suggest to procceed with a fresh install on this specific Samsung NVME? Thanks.

It's not really an incompatibility... The issue with Samsung NVMe SSDs and Monterey is Trim. The Trim on the Samsung SSDs result in slow boot times. If possible, I'd recommend using a different SSD.

3Q

Last edited:
Back