Contribute
Register

pastrychef's Asus ROG Strix Z370-G Gaming (WI-FI AC) build w/ i9-9900K + AMD 6600 XT

Did anyone notice more fluidity in the new OS?

Not sure if anyone has the same exact system as they had before Big Sur to show a benchmark comparison of how performance varies because I can definitely feel a difference.

I haven't noticed more fluidity, but fonts seem easier to read for me...

tried to upgrade to big-sur but the Big-Sur installation was stuck. I see my FakeSMC and all other kexts are not loading. I'm on clover still. Do I have to change to a working hack with OpenCore first?

You must use the latest Clover to have any hope of Big Sur booting. Old versions of Clover has broken kext injection on Big Sur.

Or, use OpenCore...

You must use the latest Clover to have any hope of Big Sur booting. Old versions of Clover has broken kext injection on Big Sur.

Or, use OpenCore...
Yes that's what I saw indeed. I updated the kexts with Hackintool but forgot to update clover. So I updated Clover to latest too but It crashed. So I booted old backup disk and prepare move to OC now. Building the USB installer for Big-Sur with OC 0.6.3 following the OC documentary. If this USB Big-Sur installer with OC EFI works to boot my current Catalina I will Upgrade. (possible pre-check is to install big-sur first to another ssd and see if everything works).

Yes that's what I saw indeed. I updated the kexts with Hackintool but forgot to update clover. So I updated Clover to latest too but It crashed. So I booted old backup disk and prepare move to OC now. Building the USB installer for Big-Sur with OC 0.6.3 following the OC documentary. If this USB Big-Sur installer with OC EFI works to boot my current Catalina I will Upgrade. (possible pre-check is to install big-sur first to another ssd and see if everything works).

When updating Clover, you should start with a fresh config.plist because Clover stitched on parts of OpenCore and the new config.plists contain "quirks" that are needed to boot.

OpenCore should not have any problems with Catalina.

I just took your OC archive. (I have PRIME-Z370-A with 8700K). Edited MAC address / MLB / Serial and added SSDT-USB.AML to ACPI folder. Is this a good start to try if the Big-Sur USB installer can boot?

I just took your OC archive. (I have PRIME-Z370-A with 8700K). Edited MAC address / MLB / Serial and added SSDT-USB.AML to ACPI folder. Is this a good start to try if the Big-Sur USB installer can boot?

In your OpenCore config.plist:
Add your SSDT.
Disable my USB ports kext.
Add USBInjectAll.kext if your USB SSDT requires it.

It looks that its working. Installing on a test ssd now. The hardest part is indentifying the correct disk after the first part of the installation process (where opencore displays all the disk icons) to continue the installation. (I saw 2 of the “install macos” icons, I think because of the failed upgrade from catalina to bigsur and clover which i can correct later).

Last edited:
image.jpg

When updating Clover, you should start with a fresh config.plist because Clover stitched on parts of OpenCore and the new config.plists contain "quirks" that are needed to boot.

OpenCore should not have any problems with Catalina.
I'm really confused. I have 10.15.7 working fine on my Z370M-ITX/ac using Clover. I would like to switch to Opencore, so I downloaded your file from #1. When I open the config.plist with CloverConfigurator, it appears blank. Is there a different program I should use to add my serial number stuff?

Thanks

I'm really confused. I have 10.15.7 working fine on my Z370M-ITX/ac using Clover. I would like to switch to Opencore, so I downloaded your file from #1. When I open the config.plist with CloverConfigurator, it appears blank. Is there a different program I should use to add my serial number stuff?

Thanks
Don't use Clover Configurator to try and edit an OpenCore plist file

Use either PlistEditPro or OpenCore Configurator.

Back