Contribute
Register

pastrychef's Asus ROG Strix Z370-G Gaming (WI-FI AC) build w/ i9-9900K + AMD Vega 56

Motherboard
Gigabyte Vision D
CPU
Graphics
Vega 56
Mac
  1. iMac
  2. Mac Pro
Hey, there, got a question....

My Asus Z370-A running OC 6.3 runs almost perfectly, BUT (well, I wouldn't be posting after all this time if I didn't have an issue...).

For the life of me, I can't get OC to respect boot order in OpenCanopy (or at the cli, either). As I need Mojave for some apps, I have it installed on a separate SSD, but that's what always shows up first in the boot menu every time. And that is despite choosing it as startup disk in sysprefs and Crtl-enter at the menu. It always goes to Mojave first, which is not what I want.

I know there was an issue with NVRAM with these boards, but I thought there had been some workarounds.
I've loaded SSDT-PMC, made a lot of adjustments in my config.plist (recommended at Dortania). I've changed csr-active-config from 03000000 to 67000000 to 77080000 and back. I think this system might actually have some nvram, but maybe not it's large enough? I should say that I don't really care about nvram, I just want the boot order to select Catalina first and not Mojave. Did you have this issue on your Z370-G?

I took a look at your latest OC 6.2 EFI and didn't see anything that was a huge difference to my EFI. And, as most everything (including sleep) works as perfectly as it ever has on this machine, well, maybe I should just live with it.

Still, I just wonder if you have any thoughts at all or know of any change for this?

Never mind, I fixed it! Hope you're doing well.....

Last edited:
Motherboard
Asus Rog Strix Z370H Gaming
CPU
i7-9700
Graphics
Radeon RX Vega 56 8 GB Red Dragon
Mac
  1. iMac
  2. MacBook Air
  3. MacBook Pro
  4. Mac mini
Mobile Phone
  1. Android
Hey @pastrychef ! Hows going? Do you still use your old config? Long time since last updateツ Do you have any idea why Your oc config does not start up my usb s? Your clover config works perfectly with my setup, but the oc config has usb issues, none of my usb ports works.

pastrychef

Motherboard
Gigabyte Z390 M Gaming
CPU
i9-9900K OC'd @ 5.0GHz
Graphics
Radeon VII
Mac
  1. MacBook
  2. Mac Pro
Classic Mac
  1. iBook
  2. Power Mac
  3. PowerBook
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
Ah just had my first freeze. My YouTube seem to be playing in the background but no input from my mouse and keyboard. The system seem to be frozen too. I can move the mouse though strangely.

Sounds very similar to what @starcat102 has been experiencing. I don't know what can cause this.

pastrychef

Motherboard
Gigabyte Z390 M Gaming
CPU
i9-9900K OC'd @ 5.0GHz
Graphics
Radeon VII
Mac
  1. MacBook
  2. Mac Pro
Classic Mac
  1. iBook
  2. Power Mac
  3. PowerBook
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
Hey @pastrychef ! Hows going? Do you still use your old config? Long time since last updateツ Do you have any idea why Your oc config does not start up my usb s? Your clover config works perfectly with my setup, but the oc config has usb issues, none of my usb ports works.

It's going well. Thanks.

I don't understand what you mean by does not start your USB. USB on the OpenCore EFI is pre-configured. It assumes that you are using the M.2 slot for Bluetooth and the internal USB2 headers are disabled.

Motherboard
CPU
i7-9700
Graphics
Mac
  1. iMac
  2. MacBook Air
  3. MacBook Pro
  4. Mac mini
Mobile Phone
  1. Android
@pastrychef :

I mean , none of the usb s are working. I did 0 modification in the configs. My keyboard, mouse, usb bt module stops working, if i boot the same system with clover, they all work, no issues.

pastrychef

Motherboard
Gigabyte Z390 M Gaming
CPU
i9-9900K OC'd @ 5.0GHz
Graphics
Radeon VII
Mac
  1. MacBook
  2. Mac Pro
Classic Mac
  1. iBook
  2. Power Mac
  3. PowerBook
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
@pastrychef :

I mean , none of the usb s are working. I did 0 modification in the configs. My keyboard, mouse, usb bt module stops working, if i boot the same system with clover, they all work, no issues.

Your motherboard is different from mine. You will need to create your own USB ports kext.

Please see the following:

Motherboard
CPU
i7-9700
Graphics
Mac
  1. iMac
  2. MacBook Air
  3. MacBook Pro
  4. Mac mini
Mobile Phone
  1. Android
Your motherboard is different from mine. You will need to create your own USB ports kext.

Please see the following:
it seems clover is more generic compared to OC. Your clover conf is perfect for me, but not OC :/ I will make my own USB kexts. Thank you!

pastrychef

Motherboard
Gigabyte Z390 M Gaming
CPU
i9-9900K OC'd @ 5.0GHz
Graphics
Radeon VII
Mac
  1. MacBook
  2. Mac Pro
Classic Mac
  1. iBook
  2. Power Mac
  3. PowerBook
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
it seems clover is more generic compared to OC. Your clover conf is perfect for me, but not OC :/ I will make my own USB kexts. Thank you!

Yes. Clover is more generic. OpenCore is unforgiving.

Motherboard
Gigabyte Vision D
CPU
Graphics
Vega 56
Mac
  1. iMac
  2. Mac Pro
Doing good. Thanks. Yourself?

Oh, fair to middlin'......not bad really. Lucked into figuring the problem I almost posted about out.

CaseySJ helped me with a TB config, and even without hacking the firmware, just using the base Asus EX3 firmware, my TB card started showing up in the Thunderbolt section of SysInfo - which an unmodified card on a hackintosh doesn't show up there very often. It was showing the Apple extended sections of TB that Windows doesn't (Windows is ICM mode and just doesn't use TB that extensively), but now that's gone. Don't know what that's about because I have not changed the SSDT he helped me with. Guess I'll have to get back to him...

With that final thought, I can say that this system has never been more stable or capable. OC 6.3 seems just about perfect for it. Everything just works. No KP's, no freezes, zippo. It's kind of nice.

Last edited: