Contribute
Register

pastrychef's Asus ROG Strix Z370-G Gaming (WI-FI AC) build w/ i9-9900K + AMD 6600 XT

When you clear CMOS, all BIOS settings should revert to default. I don't know what the default boot order is, but it should search for an EFI folder to boot from.
OK, great news: I finally managed to get into BIOS by removing all drives from the system. I've got two NVMe SSDs, and one of them is not easy to plug, since it is located behind a heatsink that sits underneath the GPU. So by removing both of them (as well as all other drives) I was able to enter BIOS again. Still don't know, what really caused the initial problem, one monitor remaining black, although it is present in the system. Thank you for your support, especially P1LGRIM.

OK, great news: I finally managed to get into BIOS by removing all drives from the system. I've got two NVMe SSDs, and one of them is not easy to plug, since it is located behind a heatsink that sits underneath the GPU. So by removing both of them (as well as all other drives) I was able to enter BIOS again. Still don't know, what really caused the initial problem, one monitor remaining black, although it is present in the system. Thank you for your support, especially P1LGRIM.

Really strange... I have no idea why you needed to remove the NVMe SSDs to get in to BIOS...

That being said, once you have your BIOS settings configured, there shouldn't be much need to get in there often.

I just upgraded to pastrychef's OC 0.6.2(Thank you for providing this) and catalina 10.15.7.

Everything works fine except question marks for the GPU model.
I think its probably cosmetic. but just wondering if others have similar problem or I misconfigured something.

Last edited:
I just upgraded to pastrychef's OC 0.6.2(Thank you for providing this) and catalina 10.15.7.

Everything works fine except question marks for the GPU model.
I think its probably cosmetic. but just wondering if others have similar problem or I misconfigured something.

View attachment 492041View attachment 492042

It's cosmetic. If you want to edit it, please see post #6212 of this thread.

Assuming you have a macOS compatible card, your Wi-Fi/Bluetooth card should work fine.

You can boot from whichever bootloader you like. You can select where to boot from in BIOS. For example, you can have Clover on the EFI partition of one drive and OpenCore on the EFI partition of another drive. Then, just select which drive to boot from in BIOS.

You USB ports did not change. The ports are hardwired. Once you've done the mapping, there's no need to do it again.
OK, making some advances here. I've seen that your EFI file is configured for a i9-9900K processor, but I have an i7-8700K. Should the EFI work for me anyway? I've done a config.plist sanity check and there are too many things to be "fixed". Could it be due to this mismatching between the processors?

Also, is the configuration as an iMacPro1,1 suitable for my processor or should I use the previous configuration as an iMac18,3? (not sure if I´m making a dumb question here...)

As always, thank you very much for your help.

OK, making some advances here. I've seen that your EFI file is configured for a i9-9900K processor, but I have an i7-8700K. Should the EFI work for me anyway? I've done a config.plist sanity check and there are too many things to be "fixed". Could it be due to this mismatching between the processors?

Also, is the configuration as an iMacPro1,1 suitable for my processor or should I use the previous configuration as an iMac18,3? (not sure if I´m making a dumb question here...)

As always, thank you very much for your help.

CPU doesn't matter. Video card doesn't matter. If anything mattered, it would have been posted in post #1.

I've been using iMacPro1,1 for a very long time with zero issues.

Please see this post, it should answer a lot of your questions.

Don't overthink things. Just boot from the EFI and enjoy your hackintosh.

For those looking to upgrade...

Screen Shot 2020-10-18 at 8.00.46 AM.png

Hi Pastrychef,

It happens that my hackintosh lockups from time to time (like all 3-4 days or so), i.e. there is no input possible anymore and also the image on all displays freezes. I am using the Apple Magic keyboard and mouse and the Apple Blutooth card. This happens sometime when scrolling on the touchpad, typing or just when the screensaver runs... so on different occasions and for no obvious reasons.

After that freeze, even connecting the keyboard via USB no input is possible any longer.
The computer itself is running and I can connect remotely via ssh, shutdown, etc. but I can't do anything on it on the kbd/screen.

Do you have any idea as to what I might check to troubleshoot that behaviour?
Thanks for your thoughts, highly appreciated!

Edit:
At the moment, it hangs, and I am connected via ssh. So, if needed, I can execute any commands.

Just happened again, really nasty.

Just at random the system would stop accepting input and appear locked, the mouse continues to move, but no keyboard input nor mouse clicks are possible any longer.

I don't really see any errors nor do I have any other problems with the system...
Any help or hints as to what to look up, are highly appreciated!

Just happened again, really nasty.

Just at random the system would stop accepting input and appear locked, the mouse continues to move, but no keyboard input nor mouse clicks are possible any longer.

I don't really see any errors nor do I have any other problems with the system...
Any help or hints as to what to look up, are highly appreciated!

How long had it been running stable?

Are you able to do things if/when connected via screen sharing/VNC?

Back