Contribute
Register

pastrychef's Asus ROG Strix Z370-G Gaming (WI-FI AC) build w/ i9-9900K + AMD 6600 XT

Have you tried connecting monitors to just one video card?

There are not enough users with dual video cards who post findings for me to know much about these setups... I can only guess what will work...

The newest EFI allows for easy swapping of video cards because WhateverGreen consolidated the functions of NvidiaGraphicsFixup and IntelGraphicsFixup, but, again, I don't know how it affects multi video card setups.

Connect with only 1 video card works fine.
Even 2 video cards installed on machine, the output from 1st cards works fine but 2nd not.

Connect with only 1 video card works fine.
Even 2 video cards installed on machine, the output from 1st cards works fine but 2nd not.

That's how I would use it... Have two monitors connected to primary video card and only have second card installed for the benefit of additional GPGPU power.

@pastrychef @dasx001 I am using two 27" 4k Dell U2718Q monitors connected with 'high grade 4k compatible' DP-DP cables.
I have reinstalled the machine with fresh OS, dropped there untouched 4.1 EFI folder (added my serial, board numbers, etc.) and it boots and starts just fine. It goes to sleep a bit slowly (it takes anywhere from 30s to 60s) then reacts to mouse or keyboard to wake up, but never wakes up properly: fans are spinning, but neither monitor displays anything, I can't SSH into the machine, remote desktop doesn't work, it doesn't respond to a ping.

I'm completely lost here, as this is minutes fresh High Sierra installation with @pastrychef EFI and if the sleep doesn't work, then the whole machine isn't very usable...

That's how I would use it... Have two monitors connected to primary video card and only have second card installed for the benefit of additional GPGPU power.

However I have 5 monitors but one card only support 4 monitors.

Besides, as you mentioned GPGPU...
Do u use ur setup for high performance computing ?
Such as CUDA, OpenCL etc.
Thanks!

@pastrychef @dasx001 I am using two 27" 4k Dell U2718Q monitors connected with 'high grade 4k compatible' DP-DP cables.
I have reinstalled the machine with fresh OS, dropped there untouched 4.1 EFI folder (added my serial, board numbers, etc.) and it boots and starts just fine. It goes to sleep a bit slowly (it takes anywhere from 30s to 60s) then reacts to mouse or keyboard to wake up, but never wakes up properly: fans are spinning, but neither monitor displays anything, I can't SSH into the machine, remote desktop doesn't work, it doesn't respond to a ping.

I'm completely lost here, as this is minutes fresh High Sierra installation with @pastrychef EFI and if the sleep doesn't work, then the whole machine isn't very usable...

How is sleep/wake with one monitor?

I took a quick look at this thread where two Dell 4K monitors are used. Looks like he has IGPU disabled. You may want to consult him on dual monitor setups. I don't have two monitors to try.

However I have 5 monitors but one card only support 4 monitors.

Besides, as you mentioned GPGPU...
Do u use ur setup for high performance computing ?
Such as CUDA, OpenCL etc.
Thanks!

Ah... I forgot that you are using 5 monitors. I really don't know what needs to be done to activate the video ports on the second card correctly...

No, I don't run any apps that really utilize OpenCL. I'm on a Vega so no Cuda for me. Metal, of course, is is used even in Finder.

Same problem with RX580 GPU and 2 monitors, however, as I never use sleep, it's not a big deal for me.

I do occasionally have the 2nd monitor start in a funny way though - it's rotated 90 degrees and on start, it's rendered as if portrait, but not actually rotated. I have to unplug and re-plug the DP cable to it to resolve. This has just started happening with the 17G2112 EFI folder, so I guess it's an issue with the WhateverGreen version, so may be resolved with the new one coming.

Same problem with RX580 GPU and 2 monitors, however, as I never use sleep, it's not a big deal for me.

I do occasionally have the 2nd monitor start in a funny way though - it's rotated 90 degrees and on start, it's rendered as if portrait, but not actually rotated. I have to unplug and re-plug the DP cable to it to resolve. This has just started happening with the 17G2112 EFI folder, so I guess it's an issue with the WhateverGreen version, so may be resolved with the new one coming.

So sleep is broken with two monitors and works with one monitor?

Alright,
Also found everything in BIOS. Don’t really know why I didn’t see it previously...

The reason you didn't see this in the BIOS is because of a bug in BIOS 1002. There is a bug that hides the entries "RC6(Render Standby)" and "DVMT Pre-Allocated" if you change "iGPU Multi-Monitor" from Disabled to Enabled. You then need to reboot once, and then the two missing entries show up.

The reason you didn't see this in the BIOS is because of a bug in BIOS 1002. There is a bug that hides the entries "RC6(Render Standby)" and "DVMT Pre-Allocated" if you change "iGPU Multi-Monitor" from Disabled to Enabled. You then need to reboot once, and then the two missing entries show up.

I can confirm this - I saw the same behavior after flashing BIOS 1002 and following PastryChef's recommended BIOS settings.

Back