Contribute
Register

Pascal (GTX1070) for Windows, Intel 530 for macOS, coexisting?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Motherboard
Gigabyte GA-Z170X-Gaming 5 (rev. 1.0)
CPU
i7-6700
Graphics
Integrated Intel 530
Mac
  1. MacBook Pro
  2. Mac mini
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
I have a new dual boot machine with macOS 10.12 and Windows 10. I'm using the Intel 530 integrated graphics. For macOS Intel 530 is good enough for everything I need it to do.

I would like to upgrade the GPU for gaming under Windows. I don't want to buy last generation (9x0) but Pascal (10x0) is not supported under macOS at this time.

What I would like to do is to buy a GTX1070 and connect it to my monitor via dual-link DVI. I would also keep the monitor connected to the motherboard's DisplayPort output, driven by onboard Intel 530. What I'm hoping is that when I boot Windows I can switch the monitor to DVI-D and get accelerated 1440p gaming, when I boot macOS I can switch back to DisplayPort and get good-enough graphics.

I don't have any doubts about the Windows side since it will use the GTX1070 and ignore the motherboard output. What will macOS do when it has an unsupported video card in a slot - fall back to mainboard DisplayPort output? That's what I am hoping.

There's a thread for this and maybe 5-10 pages talking about what you want to do.

But yes it's doable. Set iGPU as primary in bios. Boot with iGPU into OS X. When you boot into Windows, boot with iGPU then switch cables (or use monitor switch or actual switch).

So I bought a 1050Ti. What a great card for so little money... and dual boot works OK. BUT there is a noticeable deterioration in image quality on the desktop with this card in the system even though I am using the mainboard's DisplayPort output. Not sure what is going on but everything seems a little faded out as if some of the font antialiasing has been removed - some of the vertical lines in the finder (in the 3-column view) are missing also. Very strange.

So I bought a 1050Ti. What a great card for so little money... and dual boot works OK. BUT there is a noticeable deterioration in image quality on the desktop with this card in the system even though I am using the mainboard's DisplayPort output. Not sure what is going on but everything seems a little faded out as if some of the font antialiasing has been removed - some of the vertical lines in the finder (in the 3-column view) are missing also. Very strange.
Hi aeberbach,

You use NVIDIA web driver or you use Sierra driver for GTX 1050Ti ? Could you please take a pic about Sierra recognize your card ? Thanks so much.

Hi aeberbach,

You use NVIDIA web driver or you use Sierra driver for GTX 1050Ti ? Could you please take a pic about Sierra recognize your card ? Thanks so much.

Sorry I did not mean to give the impression that the 1050Ti was working in macOS, at this stage I think that is impossible. In macOS I use the Intel 530 integrated graphics. The monitor has multiple inputs and I have two cables connected, one from the mainboard's DisplayPort output and one from the 1050Ti's DVI output. (see first post in thread)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back