Graphics
HD 4000
Mac
  1. 0
Classic Mac
  1. 0
Mobile Phone
  1. Android
In my laptop, I had 2 partitions. One for OS (OS X Journaled). One I thought I would share between Windows and OSX, if I installed Windows later. It was ExFat formatted.

Today morning after switching on my laptop, I found that the ExFat drive got corrupted. Disk Utility says it can not fix it.
Disk Util is showing file format of that drive as FAT32! I'm not able to locate this partition in my finder. It is not mounted

How can I recover data in that drive? And was it a bad idea to use a ExFat formatted partition?

I tried once with ExFat without success. Now I have 2 data partitions: HFS+ for OS X and NTFS for Windows. Both are set read-only in the other OS. So far so good.

Shall I just format the ExFat partition to HFS+ then ? No options to recover?

Funny thing is, it has been working since a month. Only today I'm facing this problem

This is a known issue with the Apple's ExFAT implementation. You haven't lost anything, the disk can be fixed with chkdsk in Windows (if you have it installed). If you haven't, another possibility is to use SATA->USB adaptor and attach it to a PC with installed Windows. I've lost my ExFAT partition several times.

No, I haven't installed Windows yet. Also, I don't have a SATA -> USB adapter.

I guess I will just format it to HFS+.

This type of problems will never occur on a HFS+ drive right?

No, I haven't installed Windows yet. Also, I don't have a SATA -> USB adapter.

I guess I will just format it to HFS+.

This type of problems will never occur on a HFS+ drive right?
More than likely the problem will never happen again with HFS+ but all your data will be gone by then it just might be worth getting the SATA usb to get it back it you have an external hard drive you can take the case off it and borrow the one from it thats how i got aan SATA usb piece is i took an external drive apart to install it internally simply cause the external drives seem cheaper in my area that the internal ones and then kept the adapter so i could use it later for fixing things

Okay, I'll retrieve the data and then format it to HFS+ to avoid this problem in future.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back