Status
Not open for further replies.
Mac
  1. 0
Classic Mac
  1. 0
Mobile Phone
  1. 0
Having issues with post-installation on Sony VGN-NR430E. I'm developing a major headache trying to get everything working.

My Hardware:

- Intel GL 960 Motherboard
- Intel Pentium Dual Core T2390 1.86GHz
- Mobile Intel 965 Express Chipset Graphics (x3100)
- 2GB DDR2 PC2-5300
- Marvel Yukon 88E8039 Ethernet Adapter
- Intel 4965AGN Wireless Adapter

My steps for installation:

- Clean install using iBoot and Retail Snow Leopard Installation DVD
(only thing I could not do is set BIOS to ACHI mode and set HPET to 64 bit, my BIOS does not give me these options. Pretty much the only options I have in BIOS is boot order.)
- Updated to 10.6.8 (didn't reboot)
- Ran MultiBeast 3.9 - Only installed Chameleon and Kext Utility
- Reboot
- Installed VoodooHDA.kext to get audio working

My Issues:

1. Graphics (dreaded x3100?)

When I boot using iBoot then I can adjust my display up to 1280x768 (good! not quite 1280x800 though). If I don't boot using iBoot then Chameleon gives me the error SMC driver not found. So I install FameSMC.kext. Chameleon loads Mac OSX but now my resolution is set at 1024x786 and I can not adjust it. I've read that people have a lot of problems with this graphics card but I've also read that it should be compatible with Snow Leopard. I don't care if the graphics are game worthy, I am mostly running Mac OSX for xcode. But it only taking up part of the screen is very frustrating. What is the kext in iBoot that allows me to change the resolution? I've installed numerous kexts for x3100 that I've found but none fix this problem. When I EasyUser Install on MultiBeast it loads only half of the screen and freezes (or just never displays properly).

2. Ethernet/Wireless doesn't work

Marvel Yukon 88E8039 doesn't work - I tried installing IONetworkingFamily.kext which has supposedly worked on this adapter but it didn't work for me. I look in Network and it shows nothing. I do not know much about Macs so maybe I'm just not looking in the right place. I can't see 'About this Mac' (see issue #3). Not sure where to go from here.

Wireless - Intel Wireless 4965AGN doesn't work, not surprised (from what I've read online). I'm going to get a new wifi adapter, unless someone knows of a kext for this adapter.

3. Can't open 'About this Mac'

Anytime I try to do this the system temporarily freezes, then goes to blue screen, then reloads Finder. This isn't so much of an issue for me but thought I would mention it in case it gives some clues.

I've read through the forums and scoured the internet looking for answers and kexts but to no avail yet. So now I'm asking the experts... Any advise that you can give me is greatly appreciated.

You learn something new everyday. Thanks M0KUJINKEN.

So we can cross #3 off the list I guess. When I go into the system profiler it says that there are no PCI Ethernet Cards. Not sure why IONetworkingFamily.kext worked for other people with the same ethernet card and not me.

I still can't get 1280x768 resolution (like I can when booting with iBoot), only 1024x768. I tried entering "Graphics Mode"="1280x768x32" when booting but it said the command couldn't be found.

System profiler recognizes that it is x3100. It only says that I have 64MB instead of 320MB. That doesn't really matter to me but the screen resolution does.

There must be some kext or some special line in the plist of iBoot that lets me change resolution. Anyone know what it is?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back