Graphics
msi gtx 950
Mac
  1. iMac
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
Bought the original snow leopard.
Can install with iboot2.7 -x PCIRootUID=1

Using multibeast I can get the system running. Used dsdt from site.

Combo,multibeast,LAN. Audio works. Tried the 64bit boot option. This works, but then resolution limited to 1280.
Can someone explain which sequence to follow (options to use) to have 64bit and high res?
Thnx

If you have not loaded the NVIDIA update then goto the download page and grap the tonymacx86 NVIDIA Update. Install that and your '460 card should be happy.

neil

I have the Nvidia update, thanks. However that did not help.

In the end decided not to mess with the boot settings anymore, as when choosing any option in Multibeast I was unable to get the graphics card to work properly.

Found a work around for 64bit. Just changed the com.apple.boot.plist to this:

<key>Kernel Flags</key>
<string>arch=x86_64</string> (iso arch=i386)

Now got the system running in 64bit. However still random crashes. Hope it has to do with my memory (Corsair XMS3 1600mhz) which should run on 1600mhz automatically but doesn't. Changed it in bios, but only just now upped the voltage to 1.65. Hope that's the end of the crashes...

This is not much help. I have an PNY GTX460 card that runs solid in X58 chip set motherboards (Gigabyte EX58-UD3R and MSI X58M) but was never 100 stable in a P55 system which is a Gigabyte P55M-UD2 (that is rock solid with 9600 GT and/or GT 240).

Go figure.

neil

Mvsteeg said:
I have the Nvidia update, thanks. However that did not help.

In the end decided not to mess with the boot settings anymore, as when choosing any option in Multibeast I was unable to get the graphics card to work properly.

Found a work around for 64bit. Just changed the com.apple.boot.plist to this:

<key>Kernel Flags</key>
<string>arch=x86_64</string> (iso arch=i386)

Now got the system running in 64bit. However still random crashes. Hope it has to do with my memory (Corsair XMS3 1600mhz) which should run on 1600mhz automatically but doesn't. Changed it in bios, but only just now upped the voltage to 1.65. Hope that's the end of the crashes...

GTX460 cards dont run well and are not stable. You're better off running a GTX470 if your intent is to run a fermi card.

Hi Beelzebozo, was hoping you would chip in :)
My Gigabyte system crashed last week (GT8800 died and damaged mainboard) after which I didn't have the luxury to wait long (read have enough time to check online) before ordering new hardware. After reading about successful builds featuring the GTX460 bought that card.

Can you explain how this card is less stable, does the whole system crash randomly? Only under load? Artifacts?
I'm just not sure if the reseller will take the card back after a week of hit and miss installing my system...

Mvsteeg said:
Hi Beelzebozo, was hoping you would chip in :)
My Gigabyte system crashed last week (GT8800 died and damaged mainboard) after which I didn't have the luxury to wait long (read have enough time to check online) before ordering new hardware. After reading about successful builds featuring the GTX460 bought that card.

Can you explain how this card is less stable, does the whole system crash randomly? Only under load? Artifacts?
I'm just not sure if the reseller will take the card back after a week of hit and miss installing my system...

The load hasn't been an issue. It's just been poor support overall. Keep in mind that 460s aren't even running in MacPros to begin with, so it's even more of a gamble on a hack. I haven't seen any new success stories with the latest quadro drivers as well so at this point the best bet is a GTX470 or an AMD card for that matter.

I agree with Beelzebozo here. I myself have an Asus ENGTX460, it seems to work but doesnt show up in system profiler. I been around and around with it without 100 % success. I swapped it to test things with a 450 and a 470 and both of those worked without issues.

Haxx187 said:
I agree with Beelzebozo here. I myself have an Asus ENGTX460, it seems to work but doesnt show up in system profiler. I been around and around with it without 100 % success. I swapped it to test things with a 450 and a 470 and both of those worked without issues.

There is thread in the Graphics section dedicated to issues with GTX460s. Seems that the card suffers from power management issues in OS X, which can cause instability i.e. Kernel panic.

With that said, I don't have these issues with my ENGTX470.

beelzebozo said:
Haxx187 said:

There is thread in the Graphics section dedicated to issues with GTX460s. Seems that the card suffers from power management issues in OS X, which can cause instability i.e. Kernel panic.

With that said, I don't have these issues with my ENGTX470.

Which thread are you referring to mate ? I think i read them all and 1 mentioned a couple cpu settings that was off by default.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back