Geforce 8600 GT
Mac
  1. 0
Classic Mac
  1. 0
Mobile Phone
  1. 0
Hello friends,
I have followed the iboot + multibeast 10.6 guide to get snow leopard running and was hoping to update to El Capitan. I have followed the guide to create the usb, but all i get is a black screen with blinking cursor.
Does anyone still use this ancient board or have any ideas or suggestions? Or am I pushing the proverbial excrement uphill?
Be gentle I am new and slow, but I can follow a well written guide.
Thanks.

Often that means you created a UEFI installer but you're trying to boot to the drive in legacy mode. If you're going to install from a USB, make sure you have selected Legacy boot (not UEFI) in UniBeast.

Thanks for the reply. It seems I can't follow a well written guide :oops: Legacy boot worked! But alas, I am now greeted with the no symbol.:banghead:Anymore suggestions?

a bit late i know, but if you are still struggling, follow my "guide".

Make el capitan unibest drive with legacy mode.

Boot the usb, and at the clover prompt go to: Options -> SMBIOS and change the product name to: MacPro3,1

then go back to first screen and boot from the OS X installer and install. You'll need to make this change again to boot the newly installed OS, but when you install clover with multibeast, it will sort it out for you.

I am still using the P5W. All works well.

Trying to install El Capitan, with Nvidia GT 740, card. Have never installed MAC OS yet only P5W DH. Upon initial USB boot, I get b1f: init5, and then USB boots to the clover menu ok. I have not been able to find out, after weeks of google search, what b1f: init5 means.

In SMBBIOS I have changed from MacBook2,1 to MacBook3,1, but upon trying to boot, still get the "This version is not supported... reason F42028CA9".

Or, once I make the 3,1 change and set it it, and return back to main page and select boot from USB, I get the black screen/white slash logo.

Any thoughts are appreciated, as I've been working on this for a month now, and can not get past this black screen/slash circle.

you need to set it to MacPro3,1

b1f is the legacy mode kicking in. it is normal.

you need to set it to MacPro3,1

b1f is the legacy mode kicking in. it is normal.

Imagloworm,

Thank you for the init5 info. I did change the SMBIOS MacBook, and same results... "In SMBBIOS I have changed from MacBook2,1 to MacBook3,1, but upon trying to boot, still get the "This version is not supported... reason F42028CA9"."

So after the change to 3,1, and then 'returning to the main screen.... version is not supported. (El Capitan).

Here is additional info on my setup:

I have an ASUS P5W DH I’ve recently pulled apart and freshened up some. I’ve been trying to Hackintosh it, with absolutely no luck getting past the Clover screen to install. I sure could use some help.

As an aside, I’ve been reading so many sites on the BIOS setup for the last two months, and other how to’s, and have tried following those explicitly. There is a little conflicting info on the BIOS settings, and I will include some photos at the end of this post. I believe I have the BIOS basics setup correctly, per the bulk of posts which detail the settings. I don’t recall seeing a P5W DH with El Capitan, but I may be mistaken. Plenty with Mountain Lion. I’m trying to install El Capitan.

Software:
El Capitan install image
Unibeast 6.1.1

My setup:
ASUS P5W DH, Rev 1
BIOS: 3002 (the most recent-last bios for this board)
CPU QX6800 @ 2.93
Crucial CAS memory, 8 GB, 4,4,4, though the board in default bios setup mode, with SPD disabled, it reads 5,4,4.

Nvidia Geforce GX 740 4GB SC, DDR5
1 Seagate 1TB Barraduca 7200 SATA, formatted to NTSF.

1 Prepped, Unibeast 8 GB PNY USB drive (have tried 32 GB as well). I have tried the ‘stock’ setup, with no video selected during the setup, as well as the Nvidia addition to the setup. I use a Legacy boot setup, due to the age of this motherboard/bios, rather than the UEFI setup. I have also tried the UEFI setup. Regardless, the results are the same. I have tried formatting the USB install disk ‘journaled’, ‘MRB’, and the results are the same, can get to the Clover screen, and then any selection brings the white/slash.

Results:
On startup the USB boots to the Clover screen, which shows my NTFS hard drive, and two USB drives: Boot Clover-EFI, and Boot Mac OX from USB.

No matter which I select, once I select, I get a black screen with white circle/slash.

I’ve moved the hard drive to other positions, no luck. It is the only HD and I have removed my CD drives. I've also tried the Unibeast, were is incorporates the Nvidia portion, and also without... no change. I've heard that P5W folks need to somehow insert PCIRootUID=0 -v someplace, but have not found a terminal/cli/Clover location to input that command/setting.

I have not tried any other OS version yet, but am looking for Mountain Lion to see if that works.

ok. DO NOT use MacBook3,1. you MUST use MacPro3,1 - do you see the difference?

You have a desktop motherboard that most closely aligns to a MacPro. Before booting, in clover options, change SMBIOS to MacPro3,1

The only BIOS settings that must be changed to function are "execute disable" and booting with AHCI for your boot disk.

hope it helps

Imagloworm,

Thank you. I will give it a go.

OK... my first Apple logo!... will run verbose as went to black screen after apple logo left.

Gracias.

Installed and working off self booting, et al, thanks for the help.

Hi, JDChristensen how did you managed it to boot from HDD? I installed it, but can not boot from HDD (Samsung SSD). Just see crossed circle.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back