Contribute
Register

P55m-ud2 Updated bios, install broke

Status
Not open for further replies.
I had my motherboard replaced on my macbook pro and I couldn't get at my time machine backup. This is because I think the the backup is linked to the MAC number. This website details what I did

http://davidleber.net/?p=288

Not sure if this will help as I didn't read your post in detail but it might point you in the right direction.

It happened me too! :eek:
No way to fix, but something has been recovered using an utility to search erased files after a format.
No forum I could find was helpful.
I must say that in more than 10 years of Mac it doesn't happen with real macs :crazy:
All I can say is to try to find a real mac, maybe a G5, and move files from a drive to another.
Try with an USB adapter or similar connected with a Mac with osx 10.4+

Wish U luck

Hi all and thanks for your help.

So I gave up and just reverted back to my old bios and dsdt file. Fortunately, it fixed everything (almost)! I still had to fix some of the permissions I had messed up while I was trying to fix my problem, but for now everything seems ok.

It sucks to be running on the old bios but for the most part it is not too bad. The reason I had decided to update my bios in the first place is because I am planning to upgrade to 10.6.4 and I figured it would be good to get everything updated. So, right now I am on 10.6.2 still with a magic trackpad I can't use! I am in the process of copying my drive so I can create a test partition to try the update and see if it works out ok.

So, in the end, I was not able to fix my problem but at least I got my computer back to normal. Has anyone else had weird things happen from an updated bios? It might not help that I have 3 hard drives and my home folder is on a different drive than my system folder (I use symbolic links to make it work). I am guessing that the new bios reordered or renamed the hard drives, which may have caused my computer to act so strange.

I just tried installing 10.6.4 on a copy of my system, and the exact same thing happened as before when I changed my motherboard bios. All my settings are gone, back to default wallpaper and dock applications. No preferences get saved. I am going to try a clean install on a separate partition to see if I can figure out the problem.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back