Contribute
Register

P55 smbios imac11,1 vs macpro4,1

Status
Not open for further replies.
melon said:
MacPro3,1 is far better graphics and system performance than MacPro4,1 smbios.plist on my system. :/
i can confirm this too.. i get a higher OpenGL score in cinebench using MacPro3,1

CPU performance however, was identical to 4,1

ideas_man69 said:
i can confirm this too.. i get a higher OpenGL score in cinebench using MacPro3,1

Same thing for me when I switch from iMac i7 smbios.

Cinebench scores after change from imac11,1 to macpro 4,1 smbios

Open GL went from 12.17 to 28.70
CPU went from 5.52 to 5.54

my scores were pretty much identical on Mac Pro 3,1 & 4,1 & iMac 11,1
Open GL = 30.18
CPU - 3.79

My CPU seems low for an core i5 760 (2.8ghz). Is it low?

Here are my observations experimenting with using different SMBIOS.plists. First off, I get identical scores in both Geekbench and Cinebench using MacPro 3,1/4,1 and iMac11,1.

GB64= 10127
Cinebench OpenGL= 33.67
Cinebench CPU= 5.23

However, I DO notice that my CPU temps rose 6-9'C. iMac11,1 idle is 34'C 34'C 31'C 31'C with 25'C on the heatsink. MacPro3,1/4,1 I get 45'C 45'C 42'C 42'C with 36'C on the heatsink.*
SS/Turbo both work either way. Proper DSDT edits allow for HPET and LPC to load. Using either SMBIOS.plists will show 14 P-state arrays in IORegistryExplorer. They ARE in fact different though. Not drastically, but a single letter or number changes everything. Proper DSDT edits will (generally) get rid of pops and click in audio, and from what I have read, the chirping noise the PSU makes for some.

Also, something to keep in mind, the latest Chameleon Boot-loader has the ability to generate C and P states directly from the SSDT. Enabling them might be an option.

* My heat-sink fan in controlled manually (by me and a drive bay fan controller) and therefore SMC has no control over, well, SM fan controllers.

Bansaku said:
Here are my observations experimenting with using different SMBIOS.plists. First off, I get identical scores in both Geekbench and Cinebench using MacPro 3,1/4,1 and iMac11,1.

GB64= 10127
Cinebench OpenGL= 33.67
Cinebench CPU= 5.23

However, I DO notice that my CPU temps rose 6-9'C. iMac11,1 idle is 34'C 34'C 31'C 31'C with 25'C on the heatsink. MacPro3,1/4,1 I get 45'C 45'C 42'C 42'C with 36'C on the heatsink.*
SS/Turbo both work either way. Proper DSDT edits allow for HPET and LPC to load. Using either SMBIOS.plists will show 14 P-state arrays in IORegistryExplorer. They ARE in fact different though. Not drastically, but a single letter or number changes everything. Proper DSDT edits will (generally) get rid of pops and click in audio, and from what I have read, the chirping noise the PSU makes for some.

Also, something to keep in mind, the latest Chameleon Boot-loader has the ability to generate C and P states directly from the SSDT. Enabling them might be an option.

* My heat-sink fan in controlled manually (by me and a drive bay fan controller) and therefore SMC has no control over, well, SM fan controllers.

Very interesting Bansaku, thank you for this analysis! I guess I'll revert back to iMac11,1 as I don't notice any difference between that and MacPro4,1. I do notice that when using the MacPro identifier, the system loads an additional kext: AppleTyMceDriver.kext.

tasc said:
Very interesting Bansaku, thank you for this analysis! I guess I'll revert back to iMac11,1 as I don't notice any difference between that and MacPro4,1. I do notice that when using the MacPro identifier, the system loads an additional kext: AppleTyMceDriver.kext.

I noticed that as well. I honestly have no idea what that is. Anyone out there know?
As well, anyone out there have an SMBIOS.plist for iMac11,2 or 11,3?

In order to get the video working right under MacPro4,1 you need to edit the AppleGraphicsPowerManagement.kext/Contents/Info.plist:

MacPro4,1 section and change
Vendor10deDevice05e2 to Vendor10deDevice0a20

The 0a20 part is for a GT220,

see http://dl.dropbox.com/u/6372548/OSX8...a%20Device.txt for others.

This is to allow the GPU to have power management; level 2 high power when stressed, and down clocking to level 0 when not stressed (~10C lower).

The GPU clock will be at level 0 after sleep and wake, but the shader and memory clocks will temporarily be stuck at level 2.
However, if load is applied and then reduced, shader and memory will return to level 0.

Before the fix I was getting ~3.8 in cinebech. Afterwards I am getting ~16.7.

I take no credit for this. Details at: http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1010704

laguna1212 said:
I have a P55-USB3 with an Core i5 760 2.8. When I install the different processor options for Mac Pro with multibeast I always have MacPro 3,1 in my system profile. I'm running an ATI 5770.

Any ideas how I can change it to 4,1?

Simple, open smbios.plist in the extras folder and changed 3,1 to 4,1.

tonymacx86 said:
laguna1212 said:
I have a P55-USB3 with an Core i5 760 2.8. When I install the different processor options for Mac Pro with multibeast I always have MacPro 3,1 in my system profile. I'm running an ATI 5770.

Any ideas how I can change it to 4,1?

Open up your /Extra/smbios.plist using any text editor- change MacPro3,1 to MacPro4,1. Then change SMboardproduct from Mac-F42C88C8 to Mac-F221BEC8. Save. Reboot. Enjoy. ;)

This is the correct way, just changing it from 3,1 to 4,1 does nothing.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back