Graphics
Gigabyte GTX460 1GB
Mac
  1. 0
Classic Mac
  1. 0
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
Thought I might give overclocking a go today, I have an i5 2500k and an AsRock Z68 Pro3-M.

I have had no problem with it at stock speed and either SSDT from multibeast (stock or OC), but when I tried to overclock it to 4GHz I get the P-State Stepper Error for each core and its stuck at 1.6GHz. :x :cry: :?:

The only settings I changed in the BIOS were the multiplier (from 33 to 40) and a slight voltage increase. Any ideas why the error would start appearing just beacuse the multiplier changed? I've checked that it is the OC SSDT I am using not the stock one.

If I set it back to the default multiplier the error goes away :? o_O :?:

Wow, around 100 views and no suggestions :(

Anyway I seem to have solved it myself:
I had just changed the multiplier to a fixed value of 40 via the 'all cores' option in the BIOS, I just tried setting values for the 'per core' option using 1-core: 42, 2-cores: 41, 3-cores: 41, 4-cores: 40.
This got rid of the p-state stepper errors from dmesg :thumbup: though MSRDumper is only showing a couple of p-states - MSRDumper PStatesReached: 16 40 41 42
I am currently using the MacPro5,1 smbios, would a different one provide better results (more p-states)?

wrong post. Sorry.

i get the same error. however, i have added 37, 36, 35, 34 and i still get the error. to get those pstates i have to go to sleep then wake up. but i only get 16, 34, 35, 36. i have no SSDT. asus p8p67 pro mod bios 2103. i have tried with and without SSDT. have played with all sorts of SMBIOS. all the same. if i don't go to sleep i only get pstate 16. i am referring to mountain lion.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back