Status
Not open for further replies.
Mac
  1. 0
Classic Mac
  1. 0
Mobile Phone
  1. 0
I have this itch to upgrade my pc. I built it maybe 4 or 5 years ago. It's been so long I don't even know the exact components I have in there. But off of the top of my head, I believe it was a mid-level Lynnfield i5, 16 gb ram, a Gigabyte mobo, and some NVidia GPU.

So now I'm looking to build a new one. I'll keep my case, hard drives, and power supply so I just need a new mobo, cpu, ram, and gpu. I was just thinking about following the CustoMac mATX guide and grabbing the most expensive option on there.

Main use for this is for a 24/7 Plex Media Server. But this is also going to be my main workstation, for when I need to browse websites on a desktop, work on documents, and print stuff. Once or twice a year I also edit GoPro videos. Definitely no games though, I'm more of a console gamer. And it would be nice if I could do dual 4k displays just for the bling.

Do you guys think the top level CustoMac mATX is overkill for what I need it for? Of course I want this to be an upgrade over my pc, faster and more power is what I'm shooting for. But I'd also like to save money if I don't have to spend. Would the budget build be better?

Thanks[

In my opinion, I think components from the "budget build" list will be more than enough for your needs. If you are worried an i5 will cause your video editing to lag or if you use Plex media server to do a lot of transcoding, you can opt for an i7. The motherboards in the budget list will accommodate an i7 fine.

Whichever you choose to build should be an improvement over a system built 4-5 years ago.

In my opinion, I think components from the "budget build" list will be more than enough for your needs. If you are worried an i5 will cause your video editing to lag or if you use Plex media server to do a lot of transcoding, you can opt for an i7. The motherboards in the budget list will accommodate an i7 fine.

Whichever you choose to build should be an improvement over a system built 4-5 years ago.

Can you please help me on my thread?

awesome thanks. now here's one more question I have, as I said I'm not planning on gaming, but I would like to have 4k for the bling. I was thinking of just using the integrated graphics on the mobo ans skipping the graphics card. I see a lot of mobos with 4k @ 24hz, but only the high end ones come with 4k @ 60hz. First of all, for non-gaming applications, would I notice the difference in 24hz and 60hz? Also, should I spring for a mobo with 4k @ 60hz, or should I get the cheaper 4k @ 24hz ones and get a gpu like a year later?

I can see the difference between 30Hz and 60Hz. I think most people can. Given a choice between Intel integrated GPU or a separate dedicated GPU, I would choose dedicated GPU every time. Just be sure to look for a card that has enough DisplayPort and/or HDMI 2.0 connectors (older versions don't support 4K@60Hz).

sweet thanks.

so far looks like I'll be aiming for an i5-6400 or i5-6600k with the 32gb Ballistix kit. I haven't decided on the mobo yet, I'm browsing the build forum for ideas. But I'll probably grab one of the budget $150 Gigabyte mobos. I'll stick with integrated graphics for now since I only have 1080p monitors right now anyways.

I'll add a GPU, a 4k monitor, and another 32gb kit on thanksgiving/christmas.

thanks again for the help

Glad I could help. Good luck with your build.

I never got Plex working. Why not use Home Sharing and set up a VPN? You can then use Home Sharing on WIFI and 3G/LTE works good tbh :)

I never got Plex working. Why not use Home Sharing and set up a VPN? You can then use Home Sharing on WIFI and 3G/LTE works good tbh :)

hmm I've never heard of Home Sharing but you got me curious so I'll check that out. I've never had problems with Plex ever since the first time I set it up. It works great on my hackintosh as a server, and a roku, amazon tv stick, and android phones as clients. Although I do not have it setup for access outside of my network. I just don't have time to play around and set it up, and also currently have no need for it since I rarely travel these days.

ok so I've been reading build threads and hunting for sales the past couple days and I think I'm ready to pull the trigger. Originally I was planning on getting the i5-6600k, but looks like i7-6700k is currently on sale on Newegg for $315 so I'm considering it as well. Any thoughts if the extra $100 is worth it, or if I won't even notice it with what I'm planning this build for?

as for the mobo, I've had great success with Gigabyte so I'm sticking with them. Looks like there are two that currently has a 15% discount plus a $10 rebate from Newegg:
GA-Z170X-UD3 $91.99
GA-Z170X-Gaming6 $134.49

Or if I decide to go with the i7, Newegg currently has a bundle with the i7 and Gaming7 for just $20 more than the i7+Gaming6

Thoughts between these?

Thanks

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back