CPU
I7-8700K
Graphics
NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1080 Ti Hydro 11 GB
Mac
  1. MacBook Pro
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
Hey folks. I've done my due diligence. Lots of research, tried to find answers..but still have questions. Here is where I am at and hope I can find some answers re: over-clocking. Thank you.

mobo: Gigabyte GA-Z77N WiFi (removed WiFi card)
processor: Intel I5 3570K
power supply: CORSAIR Builder Series CX500 500W Bronze (do NOT go larger. This just fit)
case: Bitfenix Prodigy (white)
RAM: CORSAIR Vengeance 8GB CML8GX3M2A1600C9
boot SSD: 60GB Intel 520 Cherryville
secondary HDD: Seagate Barracuda ST31000524AS 1TB 7200
cooling: Stock fan, stock case (2 fans: one rear, one front. Both draw air in)
temps -> Ambient temps of 28-30c ='s temps of 29-40c depending on load.
additional purchases with build:
Arctic Silver
a splitter to run the two case fans as the mobo only has one connector
Hardware - The Build
Took 2.5 hours to build. This case is not for the perfectionist, or the anal retentive cable router. In a case this small, there is no elegant cable routing possible. There is only the best possible way to not block fans. Check out the imgur photo(s) - you will see what the internal space + external quality is like - as long as you don't mind little agitating bits of cruft like picture 3 from the gallery indicates, then this is an OK case. I could have used some nice 600 grit (or similar) sandpaper and removed that molding detritus, but it doesn't bother me that much, tbh, so I've let it be.
Install
FML. I spent 20 hours before I finally got the install proper. First mistake - do NOT try to OC the mobo before getting everything working. Second, perhaps it's just my bad luck..but Multibeast hated my initial USB thumb drive...which wasted an additional hour. The Cruzer Edge 8Gb was not a happy option for me, the Kingston Data Traveler 8Gb was.
I followed the basic Multibeast options per Tonymacx86 suggestions - however, as I happen to use VPNs frequently for t*****ting - it took me an additional couple hours of reinstalls to realize the "real" Realtek options were the best networking options to use. For every bad setting in MultiBeast I always chose to erase the boot SSD in OS X set-up and reinstall everything as though it were the first time.
Via using the "real" Realtek drivers (in MultiBeast), I now can use the Private Internet Access VPN or Proxy and get 100% of my ISPs potential bandwidth and actually exceed my former MacBook Pro's ping results (28 ms with VPN or 9 ms without VPN versus 35 with VPN and 12 without) (all of the other network drivers did not function w/my various VPN needs until using the real realtek drivers - though sound/network was otherwise 100% perfect and still faster than my MacBook Pro). Without the VPN - it's blazing fast and still faster than my MacBook Pro was. For whatever reason, using the "real" Realtek drivers on this Hackintosh, I get 50% or higher download/upload speeds with my VPN compared to my mid-2010 MacBook Pro.
I'm using no dedi GPU - only the HD4000 that comes with the CPU. This is actually ridiculously fast compared to the 320M my MacBook Pro had. I downloaded Borderlands last night, set some settings on high, others on Medium, some on low - and the difference was night and day (compared to the MBP 320M)....so, highly playable.
I completely recommend this "golden" build:
http://www.tonymacx86.com/golden-bu...ip-build-ga-z77n-wifi-i5-3570k-hd-6870-a.html
which was my foundation
Now, I just have a question. How the hell do I over-clock my system without ****ing everything up :)
thanks for reading, and thanks in advance for your help.

Last edited by a moderator:
this motherboard doesn't allow voltage adjustment. The only way to overclock this combo is to increase the turbo options in the bios. I built a system with the same MOBO and processor - overclocked to 4.0GHZ using water-cooling (H40).

What are you using for processor cooling? Not the stock fan and heatsink I hope. If not do not attempt without some sort of cpu cooler. the H40-H80 work and fit in that case. Get something before you start to over clock. My build is rock solid with temps under load not exceeding 70 celcius. I have done research and found examples of people pushing it up to 4.3 GHZ but I liked 4.0 for day to day reliability.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back