Contribute
Register

Overclocking a P55M-UD2 - Any thoughts or recommendations?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Evildemon989: I'm not sure why performance is reduced even when speedstep is disabled - like I said though in 32 bit I was able to overclock right up to the numbers you are looking for 3.5 to 3.7 GHz and saw numbers just shy of 10,000 on Geekbench. I have to say though going above 3.2GHz is really not worth the fan noise, increased temps etc. But thats just me....

cbooty said:
Evildemon989: I'm not sure why performance is reduced even when speedstep is disabled - like I said though in 32 bit I was able to overclock right up to the numbers you are looking for 3.5 to 3.7 GHz and saw numbers just shy of 10,000 on Geekbench. I have to say though going above 3.2GHz is really not worth the fan noise, increased temps etc. But thats just me....
Alright, well, I'm probably going to shoot for about 3.6 GHz now that I read tom's hardware's article on power efficiency for the i5-750.I guess I'll just make it do a video encoding job while at stock speeds w/ turbo on and w/ speedstep on, and then also stocks speeds w/ turbo on and w/o speedstep. Hopefully it will be the same or higher for no speedstep. Then I'll overclock to 3.6 GHz w/o turbo and speedstep and video encode the same job again.

Jocelyn84 said:
I've had Turbo running stable with 180 BCLK (4.32Ghz @ 24x), but I don't feel it's really worth it unless you're running 160 BCLK or lower. You just wind up having to up your voltages too high, but if you do use it keeping it on auto seems to be more stable than enabled. I've since upgraded to 8GB memory, so I can't hit quite as high of a clock as I could before aka I haven't messed with turbo much since.

I use LLC, but only because I'm sitting @ 1.2v. Most overclockers will suggest using it, but it depends on how high of voltage you're running imo. I'd head over to overclock.net if you're looking for more specifics. :)
Posted about my RAM issues by overclocking here, and if you have any suggests, I'd appreciate them.

Ignore that guy with the phenom and try setting your Ram voltage to 1.66. It'll prolly down to 1.65 anyway, and just about everyone I know using a Gigabyte MB has it at 1.66. even at 1.66 mine shows up as 1.64x even under PC Health Status.
Also, if your Performance Enhance is set Turbo, try changing it to standard and vice versa.

If none of this works, I'd suggest posting here http://forums.tweaktown.com/f69/

Edit: Are you loading Op Defaults after flashing the bios??

Jocelyn84 said:
Ignore that guy with the phenom and try setting your Ram voltage to 1.66. It'll prolly down to 1.65 anyway, and just about everyone I know using a Gigabyte MB has it at 1.66. even at 1.66 mine shows up as 1.64x even under PC Health Status.
Also, if your Performance Enhance is set Turbo, try changing it to standard and vice versa.

If none of this works, I'd suggest posting here http://forums.tweaktown.com/f69/

Edit: Are you loading Op Defaults after flashing the bios??
Yea, I knew that guy with the phenom didn't really know what he was talking about. I've always had it set to standard, but I'll try turbo. And yes I did load the optimized defaults, and then tweaked it. If this doesn't work, I'll post there too.

EDIT Set the performance enhance to turbo and it boots perfectly. Running memtest now.

Yeah... The whole Turbo/Standard thing has been like this with Gigabyte boards for a loooong time. Some boards like Standard a lot more, while others prefer Turbo. :)

I had the same dilemma trying to get my memory to 1800Mhz

Jocelyn84 said:
Yeah... The whole Turbo/Standard thing has been like this with Gigabyte boards for a loooong time. Some boards like Standard a lot more, while others prefer Turbo. :)

I had the same dilemma trying to get my memory to 1800Mhz
Ha, yea, honestly, I wish the feature weren't there, and it just worked. But hey, it's works now. i'm probably going to run 6-10 passes of memtest in a row to see if it's stable. I have it at 1.7GHz with 1.6v right now. How high do you think I could go with the speed?

You can probably hit 2000Mhz with 1.66v. Just about everyone with a P55 board owns those and have seen them hit 2k no problem. Assuming you want to OC to 4Ghz, I'd suggest 19x191.
You're testing all of this for stability right? :D

Jocelyn84 said:
You can probably hit 2000Mhz with 1.66v. Just about everyone with a P55 board owns those and have seen them hit 2k no problem. Assuming you want to OC to 4Ghz, I'd suggest 19x191.
You're testing all of this for stability right? :D
Now that I think about it, I'm probably going to leave the bclk at 170 but I really don't need to go that big. Anyways if I have anymore questions I won't be afraid to ask!

EDIT: How many passes of memtest do you think is appropriate? My RAM went threw 11 Passes with no errors. They are running at 1.7GHz with a voltage of 1.56v.

EDIT 2: Went threw 13 passes with no errors, I think she's good. Now I'm running it again with a lower PCH Core voltage. Down to 1.16v from 1.2v. Already went threw 1 pass with no errors. What do you think about that?

Just my 2 cents

Running GA-P55-UD3
i7-860

I just bumped the Base Clock from 133 to 150, RAM at 1200Mhz, and left everything else alone. Turbo enabled.

Runs fast, stable and cool temp with stock fan.

Lots of great info on this thread. Nice work guys.

rabbit

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back