Contribute
Register

OSX, Windows, boot order

Status
Not open for further replies.
Motherboard
Motherboard OR System/Laptop make and model names > See Forum Rules!
CPU
i7 > Need full CPU model name > See Forum Rules!
Graphics
HD 5770
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
I have a dual boot hackintosh thats been running great for a while now. I have OSX on one drive and windows on another. Up till now, the OSX drive has been the primary boot drive. To switch to windows I've had to wait to the Tonymac screen, press the space bar, and select the windows drive.

How do I change this so the primary boot drive is Windows?
Once its switched over, how do I reboot into OSX?

Thanks

heathbo said:
I have a dual boot hackintosh thats been running great for a while now. I have OSX on one drive and windows on another. Up till now, the OSX drive has been the primary boot drive. To switch to windows I've had to wait to the Tonymac screen, press the space bar, and select the windows drive.

How do I change this so the primary boot drive is Windows?
Once its switched over, how do I reboot into OSX?

Thanks
if you using chameleon, or chimera bootloader, you can simply made change to org.chameleon.boot.plist

try this modify your org.chameleon.boot.plist to contain the following:

<key>Default Partition</key>
<string>hd(x,y)</string>

where X is the drive and Y the partition.
example , your mac is on hd(0,2) and windows is on hd(1,2) or even hd(0,3)

CMIIW

arikstress said:
if you using chameleon, or chimera bootloader, you can simply made change to org.chameleon.boot.plist

<string>hd(x,y)</string>

CMIIW

My plist file doesn't contain those lines. Probably because I'm using two different drives and not one partitioned drive. Will the machine automatically boot into windows if I unplug the drive with OSX on it?

heathbo said:
arikstress said:

<string>hd(x,y)</string>

CMIIW

My plist file doesn't contain those lines. Probably because I'm using two different drives and not one partitioned drive. Will the machine automatically boot into windows if I unplug the drive with OSX on it?

default setting does not have that lines, that's why i told you to modify it and add it if it's not there. if you unplug mac osx hdd i'm sure you will go to your windows

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back