EVGA GTX 680 OC
Mac
  1. MacBook Pro
Classic Mac
  1. 0
Mobile Phone
  1. Android
Hey guys!
PC pro but new to the Hackintosh and a relative newb to the world of Macs, but appreciate every bit of information I get from these forums, X86 and other sites. Still too unsure to take the plunge alone so wanted to turn to you for your almighty wisdom.

The plan is to build a beastly audio comp that runs the following software:
Pro Tools 9 (native) OSx
Logic Pro 9 OSx
Sonar x1 Win 7
Tons of plugins on both

I am opening a production facility at an existing studio in Silverlake next to Hollywood and would like to be able to run both Windows 7 and a Mac OSx as the software I work with can only function with its OS of choice.

The shared hardware will include:
RME Fireface 800 or UFX
Euphonix MC Control
Novation SL61 MkII

I am an experienced overclocker and have run q6600 at 4ghz and currently run an i7 920 at 3.6 with very reasonable load temps. For audio production, stability is key, but I refuse to pay for a Mac Pro when I can build a competitive machine for a fraction of the cost after overclocking. I know Asus boards are beastly for overclocking, but the Gigabytes seem to the more stable of the bunch. I will need at least 4 monitor outputs (but dont need any intense video cards).

Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Shoot out any ideas that come to mind, as long as they aren't "buy a real mac" :) My budget is approximately 2,000 for the comp alone. Thanks!

Also, just remember, the Euphonix Mc Control uses ethernet to communicate with the comp, so I'll either need that working, or a PCI card for it.

I'd propose to buy a real Mac if you plan on using your Mac software in a professional environment and depend on it. At least stay away from SandyBridge at the moment until Apple officially supports it.

i7 fanatic said:
I'd propose to buy a real Mac if you plan on using your Mac software in a professional environment and depend on it. At least stay away from SandyBridge at the moment until Apple officially supports it.

Agreed, you need something more stable for a workhorse.

Alright, new idea.
Since I hace an i7 920 OCed to 3.6 Ghz, I might just use that. Can you guys give me a breakdown of how compatible this hardware is?

Asus p6t Deluxe V2
i7 920
Nvidia GTX 285

Thanks.

So far so good, installed using 132. Now to work out the bugs and OC again. Purchased 12 gigs of 1600mghz ram and a 1tb HD today too. Thing is a beast now!

Up and running at 3.8Ghz with 12gigs of Ram at 1530.

Lan working.

GFX working (I think). I never installed a Kext for it though. I have a GTX 285.

Once the install was done, the only thing I did was run MultiBeast.

The only thing I can't get it to do is boot without using iBoot or Chameleon.
Any advice?

Sorry for the newbish question.

hello there, did you install a retail version of snow leopard?

I produce heavy projects using Logic as DAW on i7 2600k and 8gb 1600 RAM.. didn't overclocked it yet cause i use a retail fan and i'm not sure i should do that on a retail Intel fan haha, so if anyone knows if its safe, shout back.

Anyway, the system is pretty stable m8, sure when apple support it, it will be much more stable, but i don't have any problems with it, for now. (knock on wood)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back