Contribute
Register

OSX installation on problematic HDD

Status
Not open for further replies.
Motherboard
Z450 > Need make and full model name > See Rules!
CPU
i7 > Need full model number > See Rules!
Graphics
GTX 1080
Mac
  1. MacBook Pro
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
Hey.

I am trying to install OSX on a S.M.A.R.T failing HDD and the problem is, OSX won't let me partition the HDD via Disk Utility if it is SMART failing, it just won't show the option (apple's limitery...). I tried partitioning it on windows, and I have succeeded in making it a GUID Partitioning Table. Then I created a volume with ~970GB of free space, RAW filesystem, not formatted.

When I proceed with the installation from UniBeast, it works all fine until it gets to the point where it asks me to specify where I would like OSX to be installed to. It says OSX can't be started from that HDD... When I try to format it via Disk Utility, it says that there is not enough space for that to be done... Tried 'repairing' it with the Disk Utility, but it failed.

I also tried formatting it on windows with exFAT because I read it's good for the Mac OSX, and it can be formatted by windows too, so that's the thing I needed. But the same error persists...

Any suggestions, please? Like a workaround for that Disk Utility to let me partition even though the HDD is failing?
And please not one of those 'go buy a new HDD', or 'replace it' advices, because if I was dumb enough not to think of that, I couldn't post this message here.

Thanks.

[SUP]Bump [/SUP]:(

Bump!!!!!!!!!

When you format a drive in Windows, the Windows disk management system formats MBR. Even if you format with GUID partition tables Windows creates a hybrid MBR for the partition and OS X will not install on it.
You must use the OS X disk utility or a 3rd party disk management app like gparted to format the drive for OS X.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back