Contribute
Register

OS X's fan speed control

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think you're right, after reading the reactions and thinking a bit more about it. I'll buy a new case fan, probably the one I mentioned in post #4, when it's available in the shops (it's brand new, just announced yesterday).

Thanks everyone. If someone has a definitive answer on how OS X's fan speed control works (4 pins with PWM? Does it obey the BIOS settings?), please chime in.

It depends on the motherboard hardware. With Gigabyte P55A I needed a 3 pin. With ASUS Z77 board I can also get away with a 3 pin. Some of my buddies needed a 4 PIN to get speed up during CPU load.

It depends on the motherboard hardware. With Gigabyte P55A I needed a 3 pin. With ASUS Z77 board I can also get away with a 3 pin. Some of my buddies needed a 4 PIN to get speed up during CPU load.

Ok, thanks for the info. Dschijn has the same mobo as I have and he uses 4-pins PWM fans, so I think I need that too.

Thanks!
Just make sure the fans u are using are 4Pin / PWM Fans! 3Pin Fans will not work with the PWM signal.

Thanks, will do!

I had to use 4 pin PWM case fans with this motherboard (UD5H). Be aware that not all case fan headers support PWM. Also, one of the fan headers operates at a lower voltage than the others, even though it does do PWM. All rather confusing, so I exeperimented until something worked to my satisfaction.

I had to use 4 pin PWM case fans with this motherboard (UD5H). Be aware that not all case fan headers support PWM. Also, one of the fan headers operates at a lower voltage than the others, even though it does do PWM. All rather confusing, so I exeperimented until something worked to my satisfaction.

Great, thank you! I'll experiment with the fan headers once I have bought the 4 pin PWM fan.

The Enermax Cluster Fans are good ;)

Thanks. I will sure consider it. I'm also looking at the Noctua NF-S12A PWM, quite a bit more expensive though. I want the fan to be as quiet as possible. From what I've found on internet I understand that Noctua has the quietest fans.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back