Contribute
Register

OS X Installer Keeps Freezing While Installing

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi Everyone!

My Macbook (the 2016 retina model) has been running really slowly, so I wanted to reset it back to factory settings. I don't have any important files on this computer, which I figured would make the process simpler.

Note that, after I erased my current hard drive using the Disk Utility app, I haven't been able to boot my computer up (to a login screen or equivalent start up screen) because it doesn't have an operating system loaded. After creating a new, fresh partition on my hard drive (also using the Disk Utility app), I have tried to reinstall OS X a variety of ways:
  • Directly using the "Install OS X" option within OS X utilities in Recovery mode (by holding cmd+r when booting my computer up)
  • Using Internet Recovery
  • Making a bootable El Capitan USB Install Drive using the Disk Creator app on my other Macbook Pro and using that USB to try to install OS X
One interesting thing I noticed is that the installation times could sometimes range wildly from as short as 10 minutes to over 10 hours.

However, every time I try to install OS X, my Macbook keeps freezing during installation. Usually, the progress bar only makes it 10-20% of the way there and stops. I wonder if it means that it stops on the same step each time. I can confirm that it's freezing because 1) my cursor stops moving and 2) I let it run overnight and, when I checked it this morning, it didn't make any progress and stayed frozen.

I'm not sure what to do at this point, especially because every tutorial video I watch online (that teaches you have to reset your computer) shows you how to get to the installation step and assumes that the installation will be successful.

Here are some other notes:
  • I ran a diagnostic test (by holding d when booting my computer up), and the diagnostic test identified no issues. Hopefully, this means that there aren't any hardware issues with my computer.
  • I have tried a few other random steps I've read online, such as resetting my NVRAM and whatnot, hoping that it would help, but generally to no avail. Whenever I've taken these random steps, it's unclear whether I'm accomplishing anything.
  • I've attached an image (that I stole from a YouTube video) of what my screen roughly looks like when it freezes, just so it's clear where I'm stuck. Note that I'm installing El Capitan, if that makes any difference.
Thanks in advance for any advice!

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2019-11-29 at 9.51.03 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2019-11-29 at 9.51.03 AM.png
    1.6 MB · Views: 67
Your screenshot shows Yosemite but you have posted in El Capitan Desktop support.
You have a Laptop yet you have posted in Desktop support.
You have a Mac but this is a site for those that install Apple operating systems onto non-Apple hardware.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back