Not open for further replies.
Motherboard
Gigabyte B85M-D3H
CPU
i7-4790K
Graphics
GT 740
Hello,
I have Mountain Lion OSX which I would like to install on an H81M-HD3 or GA-Z97-HD3 + 4790K + GT610.
Is it possible to get these 2 configurations running 100% with OSX 10.8.5, or is this only possible using a higher version of OS X. I don,t mind if it,s difficult to do, but if it,s impossible then there,s no point even trying (that is with Mountain Lion). If it,s not possible with Mountain Lion, what is the minimum OS X that would work with the H81M-HD3 or GA-Z97-HD3 + 4790K + GT610 configurations?

Thanks very much :)

Well systems with both motherboards will run the current versions of OS X. Mt. Lion is from the Z77 days and is rather dated. Your Haswell motherboards came along after Mt. Lion and are better suited for Mavericks, Yosemite or El Capitan.

Good modding,
neil

Thanks alot for your help:)

Does this mean that it is impossible to run Mt. Lion with the 2 boards I mentioned, or is it just more difficult?

Thanks again!

Well, at the end, I went ahead and installed Mountain Lion 10.8.5 on the H81M-HD3 + 4790K + GT610, and to my amazement it seems to be working 99% perfect.

Just in case, here,s a couple of things I found, before and after the install -

(I followed the Mountain Lion install instructions here - UniBeast: Install OS X Mountain Lion on Any Supported Intel-based PC)

1 - After booting and installing ML with the USB, the PC would hang at the Apple Logo if I selected the SDD where ML had just been installed.
I searched on here and found -v -x PCIRootUID=0 GraphicsEnabler=No. I tried them one by one, and the PCIRootUID=0 solved the problem, (though I have no idea why).

2 - After being able to finish the install (using the PCIRootUID=0 option when booting the first time) I ran Multibeast and installed the drivers that corresponded with the the H81M-HD3. They were Realtek 892 +Lnx2Mac's Realtek Ethernet Driver, using the non DSDT versions. (The H81M-HD3 does not need a DSDT)

Now it all worked perfectly, normal fast boot time, audio and Internet all fine.

I,m not sure about a couple of things though -

The 4790K is seen as an i7 at 4.2 GHz. That-s the correct speed, but it seems to have a generic name. Is this correct?

I don,t know how to check if hyperthreading is active.

The last thing is related to audio. On my PC there is a line out at the back, and a headphones out at the front. With Windows, to start with the headphone output didn,t work, it,s a known problem, and it,s fixed by opening the Realtek Control Panel and clicking the "disable front panel jack detection" option.
This is also happening with Mountain Lion, the exact same thing, but there is no Realtek Control Panel to
open.

If anyone has any suggestions they would be much appreciated;

Update #1
FakeSMC plugins + HWMonitor.app were in Multibeast all along.

This has sorted out
"how many cores are recognised", HWMonitor shows 4

"I,m also unsure about the CPU temperature. If the CPU is not fully recognised, is there a possibility of overheating or anything like that? (I downloaded various apps to check this but not one of them even detected a CPU, they only showed HDD temperatures and nothing else)." CPU is now detected and temperatures match BIOS aprox.

Last edited:
I've been trying to finish off the instalation, and though it works pretty good, there are still a few problems, but I have no idea how to sort them out.

They are:

1 - There's no audio at the front headphone out socket (works fine in Win)

In System Preferences / Sound / Output, there are 4 options - Internal Speakers / Line Out / Line Out / Digital Out, no mention of headphone out

In System Information / Audio, selecting Intel High Definition Audio shows - Speaker / Line Output / Line Output / Line Input / Line Input / Headphone / SPDIF Optical DAO.
It also says Audio ID1 and lists the conector types for each component which are Internal, 1/8 inch jacks & Combination Output.

It's strange that Headphone Output seems to exist at this level, but it's not available in the Sound configuration.

2 - Also in System Information / Audio it says Intel High Definition Audio HDMI / Displayport Output,
Audio ID 1. These outputs are also unavailable in System Preferences / Sound / Output.

I have tried to find a solution to this and spent quite a while looking at pages that seem to be related to this. I even tried to run some special commands in Terminal, but it is way over my head, and nothing I did has worked.

If anyone knows how to do these things that would be great, I would really like to hear from you.
:)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back