Contribute
Register

OS X Driver for NVMe M.2 Solid State Drives Released

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sorry for not mentioning that. I am installing the Sierra 10.12.1 16B2555.

See NVMe_patches_10_12_1_16B2555.plist

Which one is patch#1. Is that /KextsandPatched/kextstopatch/item0?

Item1.

Yes, I have read the github readme.md multiple times. But I couldn't fine instructions for how to implement ACPI_DSM.

Link to insanelymac post in README.

See NVMe_patches_10_12_1_16B2555.plist

Item1.

Link to insanelymac post in README.

Hi, I have followed ur guides in replacing the kextstopatch part in the config.plist. The one I uploaded earlier today was the config from Mork vom ork. The one i am uploading now is from urs 10.12.1_16B2555. Neither works. They don't cause kernel panic but I can't find my nvme drive in the disk utility.

Attachments

• EFI_Shalam.zip
    2.5 MB · Views: 97
Hi, I have followed ur guides in replacing the kextstopatch part in the config.plist. The one I uploaded earlier today was the config from Mork vom ork. The one i am uploading now is from urs 10.12.1_16B2555. Neither works. They don't cause kernel panic but I can't find my nvme drive in the disk utility.

I didn't check each patch (too many), but this looks ok and the md5 for IONVMeFamily.kext you have in kexts/Other matches the intended build.

You have no hardware details provided, so no idea whether you should expect this to work or not...

It could be your SSD is simply not compatible with Pike's NVMe patches.
Best to buy devices that are known to work: Samsung 950/960/SM951

I didn't check each patch (too many), but this looks ok and the md5 for IONVMeFamily.kext you have in kexts/Other matches the intended build.

You have no hardware details provided, so no idea whether you should expect this to work or not...

It could be your SSD is simply not compatible with Pike's NVMe patches.
Best to buy devices that are known to work: Samsung 950/960/SM951

My SSD is the Plextor M8PeGN 512GB. Doesn't all these nvme share the same protocols? The only difference is the controllers. Why would some work with a patch and the others don't?

My SSD is the Plextor M8PeGN 512GB. Doesn't all these nvme share the same protocols? The only difference is the controllers. Why would some work with a patch and the others don't?

They all share the same NVMe spec.
But Apple's driver does not conform to the spec. The driver assumes a 4k block size. The Samsung series of NVMe drives (and others) use block size of 512 bytes. Pike's patches make the patched driver assume 512 byte block size.

So... for starters... if any drive you attempt to use does not use 512 byte block size, then you cannot expect Pike's patches to work without modification. I suppose it is also possible for there to be other incompatibilities that are, of course, not accounted in the current set of NVMe patches.

You should probably install on a non-NVMe device, where you can deal with the NVMe problem separately and in a post-install environment that allows you access to much more information (ioreg, system log, etc).

But Apple's driver does not conform to the spec. The driver assumes a 4k block size. The Samsung series of NVMe drives (and others) use block size of 512 bytes. Pike's patches make the patched driver assume 512 byte block size.

So... for starters... if any drive you attempt to use does not use 512 byte block size, then you cannot expect Pike's patches to work without modification. I suppose it is also possible for there to be other incompatibilities that are, of course, not accounted in the current set of NVMe patches.

You should probably install on a non-NVMe device, where you can deal with the NVMe problem separately and in a post-install environment that allows you access to much more information (ioreg, system log, etc).

Alright, will do. After I install it on a non-nvme drive, I will update. Thanks, Mr. RehabMan

Strongly agree here, in my case of getting the 950 Pro working, this was invaluable. Setting up on a SSD first then working with the NVMe device is much easier.

Forgive my naivety, 10.12.2 is out. What shall I do? Replace KextToPatch with the latest one for 10.12.2 and just update? Will that be enough?

Thanks

Forgive my naivety, 10.12.2 is out. What shall I do? Replace KextToPatch with the latest one for 10.12.2 and just update? Will that be enough?

Thanks

The patches for 10.12.1 vs 10.12.2 are the same. I already updated patch-nvme at github (with new md5).

Hey guys, what's your boot up time to login in on MacOS, I'm getting ~22 secs after clover bootloader to login screen, is that just about right for most you m.2 nvme users?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back