Contribute
Register

OS X Driver for NVMe M.2 Solid State Drives Released

Status
Not open for further replies.
It is cosmetic but can be "fixed" with a patch to NVMeGeneric.kext (the patch is in my NUC repo, for example).
But there are serious problems with NVMeGeneric.kext that are not cosmetic.

Ahh cheers, dang - patching looks complicated.

What are the serious problems Rehab (or could you point me to them?)

Ahh cheers, dang - patching looks complicated.

What are the serious problems Rehab (or could you point me to them?)

The problems with NVMeGeneric are probably discussed in this thread... (they are well known).

Summary:
- reboot/panic on shutdown (result: restart instead of shutdown)
- slow response on wake up from sleep
- internal vs. external
- unable to install to the system volume due to missing OSBundleRequired=Root (can be fixed with simple Info.plist change)

The problems with NVMeGeneric are probably discussed in this thread... (they are well known).

Summary:
- reboot/panic on shutdown (result: restart instead of shutdown)
- slow response on wake up from sleep
- internal vs. external
- unable to install to the system volume due to missing OSBundleRequired=Root (can be fixed with simple Info.plist change)

Ahh cheers,

Read your instructions but got stuck on 'cd to the extracted location' lol - cd? copy directory? heh

>Googles How to patch a Kext< ;-)

As never patched - presume that's what I should be looking for?

Ahh cheers,

Read your instructions but got stuck on 'cd to the extracted location' lol - cd? copy directory? heh

>Googles How to patch a Kext< ;-)

As never patched - presume that's what I should be looking for?

I don't think you're looking at the right things. The patch for internal/external with NVMeGeneric.kext is in one of the config.plist files in the repo.

You should not plan to follow the guide for the NUC unless you have the NUC hardware listed in the guide.

I don't think you're looking at the right things. The patch for internal/external with NVMeGeneric.kext is in one of the config.plist files in the repo.

You should not plan to follow the guide for the NUC unless you have the NUC hardware listed in the guide.

Ahh you see, the problem with all this is, I see a bunch of files, and I don't rightly know which or what to do with them.
NVMe_patches_10_11_6.plist looks promising - but not being a developer and not being familiar with all the terminology I'm gonna have to look for a real basic walkthrough. The journey continues ;-)

Thanks for your help so far dude!

(kinda thinking - if it ain't bust, don't touch it ;-)

Ahh you see, the problem with all this is, I see a bunch of files, and I don't rightly know which or what to do with them.
NVMe_patches_10_11_6.plist looks promising - but not being a developer and not being familiar with all the terminology I'm gonna have to look for a real basic walkthrough. The journey continues ;-)

Thanks for your help so far dude!

(kinda thinking - if it ain't bust, don't touch it ;-)

Note:
Code:
SPEEDY-OSX:nuc.git RehabMan$ grep NVMeGeneric *.plist
config_nuc6.plist:                <string>show NVMeGeneric drive as Internal</string>
config_nuc6.plist:                <string>NVMeGeneric</string>
config_nuc6_sc.plist:                <string>show NVMeGeneric drive as Internal</string>
config_nuc6_sc.plist:                <string>NVMeGeneric</string>

Note:
Code:
SPEEDY-OSX:nuc.git RehabMan$ grep NVMeGeneric *.plist
config_nuc6.plist:                <string>show NVMeGeneric drive as Internal</string>
config_nuc6.plist:                <string>NVMeGeneric</string>
config_nuc6_sc.plist:                <string>show NVMeGeneric drive as Internal</string>
config_nuc6_sc.plist:                <string>NVMeGeneric</string>

Now you're just twanging my twonger aren't you

No. It clearly shows the files you should be looking at.

I was only joking mate - appreciate your patience! - but you'd better not waste any more time on me - I need to get up to speed with it all - I'm a complete noob to this codey lark, I ain't got a clue ;-)

I was only joking mate - appreciate your patience! - but you'd better not waste any more time on me - I need to get up to speed with it all - I'm a complete noob to this codey lark, I ain't got a clue ;-)

Read up on Clover and kext patching via KextsToPatch. Then you might begin to understand what you should be looking for...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back