Contribute
Register

OS X 10.8.5 Update

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just updated using the combo, received INSTALLATION FAILED, but checked about this Mac and it indicate 10.8.5 (12F37). I ran multibeast for my audio driver and AppleACPIPlatform. Rebooted and system running fine, not sure what failed during the install.

System is Core i5, Nvidia GeForce GTX 650 (2048MB)

Article: OS X 10.8.5 Update

your hardware?

Asus rampage iv gene
i7 3930k
gtx 670
as long as i boot with npci=x3000 -x it boots fine on 10.8.5.if i boot without -x i get the following
USBF:0.407 AppleUSBECHI::unable to get filterInteruptEventSource
USBF:0.407 AppleUSBECHI::UIMInitialize-Error occurred(0xe0000be)
still waiting on root device

When I do boot into safe mode my asmedia sata controller is not recognized and will not mount my other 2 hard drives.

I opened up Safari and noticed there's graphical glitches when i move the window around or when the apple start page moves from one image to another.

everything works perfectly on 10.8.4

I just built my second Hack, a Haswell unit with the GA-Z87X-UD5H and Mountain Lion up and running. On my other Hack with a GA-Z77x-UDH5 , when I installed the 10.8.5 update i had problems booting. I ended up reinstalling Mountain Lion without any Multibeast tweaking and went straight to the 10.8.5 software update. Everything worked fine this time so I cloned the drive and installed it on the Haswell unit. Tweaked GraphicsEnabler=No on the Haswell unit and it booted up like a champ

I started out with a fresh OSX 10.8.4 install on a clean 1tb seagate drive, did not run Multi-beast. when i read that 10.8.5 was out, i run the Apple Update and it installed without issues. after power cycling the computer and using my Unibeast installer to boot, I installed Multi-beast following one of the guides for my mobo (Asus P8Z77-M Pro)...

• User DSDT or DSDT Free install
  • Audio - Realtek ALC8xx (ALC892)
  • 3rd Party Sata
  • Lnx2Mac's Realtek RTL81...
  • AppleIntelCPUPowerManagement - i'm not sure if i clicked on this

I can't really recall everything, but after power cycling with the new settings it would not boot due to the AppleIntelCPUPowerManagement issues because I had not pateched my BIOS yet. I had to delete the Extras .plist files contents to load into ML.
Downloaded the latest v2003 patched BIOS provided by Jambek2003, again booted up using Unibeast installed and installed Chimera 2.2.0.

Been using it for a few hours and it seems stable. weird thing only is that i was playing some of my flac music and it went into sleep mode... music got cut in the middle of the song. Took me a few minutes to get back to computer and just pressed a key and it came back up to life.

I have no real issues to report, maybe in the following days i'll learn if this needs some tinkering.

Current specs:
Asus P8Z77-M Pro
Intel i5 3470
16gb Kingston Blue DDR3 1600
nVidia GT640 1gb
2tb Seagate Sata 3 6gb 64mb cache - Win 8.1 final
1tb Seagate Sata 3 6gb 32mb cache - Win 8
1tb Seagate Sata 2 3gb - ML 10.8.5 (raw - no Multibeast yet)
LiteOn 24x DVD drive

A couple of things not working correctly since I updated. Time Machine is totally borked and I can't roll back to what I had previously, as it doesn't let me move or scroll through previous versions. My programs that usually start on startup have to be started up manually now even though they should be starting on their own. Totally messed up my Madcatz MMO 7 mouse software, even though I even reinstalled it, so now all of my special mouse buttons with their keybinds don't work.

Additionally, if Istats is correct, I have 12.97gb of wired memory right now for some reason, out of my 16gb of memory, which I am not doubting since my system seems a little slow, even when popping open the folders in my dock to show my apps. I'm not sure what is going on with this update, but it has done a little number on my high end computer. It's still useable, but there are some quirks that I really don't like that are going on.

B75M-D3P 10.8.5 UNsuccessful Combo update from 10.8.4 - Followed Stork's recommendations - booted OK, App Store, Sound and iCloud OK - but NO USB3. Went back to 10.8.4

Updated
I recommend the Combo update instead of the store incremental update. My procedure is to
  1. Repair Permissions using the Disk Utility on the drive to be updated;*
  2. Backup your current system with Time Machine or Carbon Copy Cloner or SuperDuper;
  3. If you're using the "USB 3 - Universal" (Zenith432's GenericUSBXHCI.kext), remove it from S/L/E folder**;
  4. Run the Combo Update - don't reboot yet;
  5. Run MultiBeast to reload only the audio driver;
  6. Download the GenericUSBXHCI.kext and install using Kext Utility;
  7. Repair Permissions again;* and
  8. Reboot

NOTICE: Hawell owners are not having success with this update. Before trying to update, backup your 10.8.4 Haswell Helper system. If the update doesn't work, try a fresh install by
  • restoring your 10.8.4 Haswell Helper installation;
  • go to the MAS and download the Install Mountain Lion app (it's now 10.8.5), using Option-Click on the Purchase menu item;
  • prepare a UniBeast USB thumb drive; and
  • making sure your backup is current, do a fresh install.
If this doesn't work, restore your 10.8.4 Haswell Helper installation and wait for updating news. Being an early adapter is hell sometimes. One user had success with a fresh install.

* You can use the Terminal instead of Disk Utility if you feel comfortable with a UNIX command:
Code:
sudo diskutil repairPermissions /

** Zenith432's GenericUSBXHCI.kext has been reported to cause Kernel Panels on some motherboards after the update.

Made the mistake of updating thru Apple SWU, but thank god everything went well. No changes or mods needed after software update to 10.8.5

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back