1. MacBook Pro
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
[SOLVED] OS froze on post installation setup, now I can't boot from USB or SSD

Hi everyone!

I've followed the CustoMac mATX guide, opting for:

• Gigabyte GA-Z97M-D3H motherboard
  • Core i7-4790K
  • nVidia Geforce GT 740 SC graphics card (2GB, GDDR5, PCI Express 3.0)
  • Crucial Ballistix Tactical (16GB)

I set up UniBeast without laptop or legacy usb support and followed the BIOS settings described on the Installation guide page:

• BIOS already F5
  • loaded optimised defaults
  • VT-d disabled
  • Switched PCI to IGFX in Peripherals
  • Couldn't see CFG-lock, but saw no mention of it on this guide
  • Same as above for Secure Boot Mode.
  • X.M.P set to Profile1
  • Boot Priority set to USB, but three items listed here - USB, UEFI Samsung and PO Samsung (I don't know the difference between UEFI & PO). However, it still lets me choose the boot drive anyways when booting up, if I don't go into BIOS.

I encountered the Kernel Panic screen (code/text appearing over the apple boot screen) a couple of times initially, but switching it off for a minute seemed to fix this. Anyways, I managed to get Yosemite installed onto my SSD and restarted the system, When I let it load I was greeted with the Apple setup screen where it asked me for my Apple ID (I entered it, was this a mistake?) and it proceed to ask for Apple Keychain/find my Mac (both skipped) and went onto the setup progress bar, but the system froze towards the end, now I can no longer boot from either drive :( I'll assume because I've edited the BIOS again , as the reason for Yosemite drive (SSD) failing to load, but I either get the Kernel screen or the status bar freezes, I get the error below (in verbose mode) when trying to boot from both disks too.

"Start - WaitForService (ResourceMatching (AppleIntelCPUPowerManagement) timed out WARNING IOPlatformPluginUtil: get CPUID info: this is an unknown CPU model OX3C -- power management may be incomplete or unsupported"

I've checked through some posts and other websites and I didn't see anyone having similar issues at all and I'm really not sure what else to try here, so I'm hoping someone can help me out.

I've tried to provide as much information as possible here, so hopefully that helps with things.

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Hi everyone!

I've followed the CustoMac mATX guide, opting for:

• Gigabyte GA-Z97M-D3H motherboard
  • Core i7-4790K
  • nVidia Geforce GT 740 SC graphics card (2GB, GDDR5, PCI Express 3.0)
  • Crucial Ballistix Tactical (16GB)

I set up UniBeast without laptop or legacy usb support and followed the BIOS settings described on the Installation guide page:

• BIOS already F5
  • loaded optimised defaults
  • VT-d disabled
  • Switched PCI to IGFX in Peripherals
  • Couldn't see CFG-lock, but saw no mention of it on this guide
  • Same as above for Secure Boot Mode.
  • X.M.P set to Profile1
  • Boot Priority set to USB, but three items listed here - USB, UEFI Samsung and PO Samsung (I don't know the difference between UEFI & PO). However, it still lets me choose the boot drive anyways when booting up, if I don't go into BIOS.

I encountered the Kernel Panic screen (code/text appearing over the apple boot screen) a couple of times initially, but switching it off for a minute seemed to fix this. Anyways, I managed to get Yosemite installed onto my SSD and restarted the system, When I let it load I was greeted with the Apple setup screen where it asked me for my Apple ID (I entered it, was this a mistake?) and it proceed to ask for Apple Keychain/find my Mac (both skipped) and went onto the setup progress bar, but the system froze towards the end, now I can no longer boot from either drive :( I'll assume because I've edited the BIOS again , as the reason for Yosemite drive (SSD) failing to load, but I either get the Kernel screen or the status bar freezes, I get the error below (in verbose mode) when trying to boot from both disks too.

"Start - WaitForService (ResourceMatching (AppleIntelCPUPowerManagement) timed out WARNING IOPlatformPluginUtil: get CPUID info: this is an unknown CPU model OX3C -- power management may be incomplete or unsupported"

I've checked through some posts and other websites and I didn't see anyone having similar issues at all and I'm really not sure what else to try here, so I'm hoping someone can help me out.

I've tried to provide as much information as possible here, so hopefully that helps with things.

Any help is greatly appreciated.

You have given an EXCELLENT Hardware SPEC in your post along with every required data and presented your problem well.
Lack of Images to supplement and support your observation and inferences is a drawback. Images would have helped readers to understand things a lot better , especially the view of Kernel Panic text. or Boot screen freeze.

• I expect this troubleshoot to be a long one spanning over several pages and therefore please Edit Profile>Basic Information>System :[ Motherboard + BIOS version] not anything else . This wil make it easier to get your hardware SPECS through out the thread from under your log in name instead of scrolling back to this page and initial post. Profile is toward top RIGHT of this page.
  • Until the system installation is complete and system is stable and no problem is encountered while booting the installed Yosemite OS X, always use -v (verbose) boot flag for easier diagnosis of the problem and sharing a legible image with readers to help you. Any other boot flags required to facilitate booting must be in addition to the mandatory -v
  • Even if the System disk (SSD) was some how corrupted and become unbootable, I don't see any reason for Unibeast Yosemite USB Installer to fail to boot if it has worked during instillation or tested and found to be bootable in another Mac or Hack. I expect Unibeast Yosemite USB Installer still bootable
  • You need to Load Optimized BIOS and then make all the selections you had previously made
    [listed very well in your post] plus XCHI Mode ---> Auto [NOT the default Smart-Auto] and XCHI-Hand-off and EHCI-Handoff >ENABLED for OS X installation . Make sure Date and Time in BIOS to correspond to your Time zine.
  • Boot with USB installer
  • In Chimera boot screen, boot your USB installer with the same flags you used for initial installation with mandatory -v
  • Upload any image of problem boot screen through Attachments tool here where we type .

Thanks for the reply cmn699.

So, I reformatted my USB and reinstalled Yosemite Unibeast (in case it was damaged) and I took your advice on the XCHI/EHCI settings/mode, but as far as I can see, I'm still getting the same errors. I'll attach photos below.

USB installer boot
IMG_0299.JPG

USB installer boot with DropSSDT=Yes
IMG_0298.JPG

SSD boot
IMG_0300.JPG

SSD boot with DropSSDT=Yes
IMG_0301.JPG

Hopefully these images will help get things sorted.

Thanks for the reply cmn699.

So, I reformatted my USB and reinstalled Yosemite Unibeast (in case it was damaged) and I took your advice on the XCHI/EHCI settings/mode, but as far as I can see, I'm still getting the same errors. I'll attach photos below.

USB installer boot
View attachment 143258

USB installer boot with DropSSDT=Yes
View attachment 143257

SSD boot
View attachment 143259

SSD boot with DropSSDT=Yes
View attachment 143260

Hopefully these images will help get things sorted.

• Is your Display Monitor connected to your EVGA Nvidia GeForce GT 740 or the Integrated Graphic Card?
  • Remember in your earlier BIOS setup you have ENABLED IGFX
    Switched PCI to IGFX in Peripherals
    as per your first post.
  • Please confirm which video You have enabled in BIOS and which Port the cable is connected? This is very important to choose the boot flag.
  • What cable are you using to connect Video card's port to Monitor's port. Only Digital cables [DVI or HDMI ] are generally supported .
  • Until installation is completed afresh on to the Hard disk, launch only the Unibeast Yosemite USB Installer.

• Is your Display Monitor connected to your EVGA Nvidia GeForce GT 740 or the Integrated Graphic Card?
  • Remember in your earlier BIOS setup you have ENABLED IGFX as per your first post.
  • Please confirm which video You have enabled in BIOS and which Port the cable is connected? This is very important to choose the boot flag.
  • What cable are you using to connect Video card's port to Monitor's port. Only Digital cables [DVI or HDMI ] are generally supported .
  • Until installation is completed afresh on to the Hard disk, launch only the Unibeast Yosemite USB Installer.

IGFX is enabled in BIOS and it's connected to the integrated graphics card/monitor via a VGA cable. If i use the HDMI cable, it doesn't display anything when I turn on the computer. I don't have a DVI cable, but I'll see if I can borrow one from work today and try out the Unibeast Yosemite USB Installer this evening.

IGFX is enabled in BIOS and it's connected to the integrated graphics card/monitor via a VGA cable. If i use the HDMI cable, it doesn't display anything when I turn on the computer. I don't have a DVI cable, but I'll see if I can borrow one from work today and try out the Unibeast Yosemite USB Installer this evening.

Can you tell me the Make and Model of your Display Monitor?
Have you ruled out Cable problem. A bent HDMI cable connector Pin or something like that can be easily missed. Check both mating ends for secure connection.

If no problem with the cable and ports, Turn Power On the Computer case.If no Display on the Monitor Turn the Power OFF on the monitor ( not the Computer) and after 5-10 seconds later, Turn Monitor Power on and see if that helps.

If there is still problem , consider a BIOS Setup corruption. Enter BIOS Setup> Load Optimized Default and then make fresh choice of all required BIOS Setup options and Save and Restart and see.

If still problem, Shut Down PC> Remove Power Cable from PC> Identify CMOS Jumper Pins on the Motherboard. It is often near the Font Panel Pins

If it is a 2- Pin jumper and it has no jumper cap (plastic piece that straddles the two pins), to clear CMOS, take a flat head screw driver tip to connect the two pins for 10 seconds and then remove the contact.
Now Re-cable the Computer and Turn Power On> in BIOS Setup> Load Defaults, Re-select all required Options including Date and Time ( all Settings have been reset with CMOS Reset)

If nothing works Try DVI cable (for Hackintosh Initial Installation & Setup DVI is better than HDMI)

Can you tell me the Make and Model of your Display Monitor?
Have you ruled out Cable problem. A bent HDMI cable connector Pin or something like that can be easily missed. Check both mating ends for secure connection.

If no problem with the cable and ports, Turn Power On the Computer case.If no Display on the Monitor Turn the Power OFF on the monitor ( not the Computer) and after 5-10 seconds later, Turn Monitor Power on and see if that helps.

If there is still problem , consider a BIOS Setup corruption. Enter BIOS Setup> Load Optimized Default and then make fresh choice of all required BIOS Setup options and Save and Restart and see.

If still problem, Shut Down PC> Remove Power Cable from PC> Identify CMOS Jumper Pins on the Motherboard. It is often near the Font Panel Pins

If it is a 2- Pin jumper and it has no jumper cap (plastic piece that straddles the two pins), to clear CMOS, take a flat head screw driver tip to connect the two pins for 10 seconds and then remove the contact.
Now Re-cable the Computer and Turn Power On> in BIOS Setup> Load Defaults, Re-select all required Options including Date and Time ( all Settings have been reset with CMOS Reset)

If nothing works Try DVI cable (for Hackintosh Initial Installation & Setup DVI is better than HDMI)

The DVI-D cable worked, thank you so much!

Although it did freeze quite a bit in the process, once in Disc Utility and twice during the OS installation. It froze twice when I tried to boot the OS, so I tried disabling EHCI-Handoff, since it's not mentioned on the Installation guide. It froze once more, but I just turned the computer off for a minute and when I switched it on again, it worked fine. Saying that, after using Multibeast and restarting, I can no longer connect to the internet via ethernet, but I'll bet I just need to get another driver or something. I'm about to get a proper play about on it, to see which drivers still need to be installed.

Again, thank you so much, I would never have guessed a monitor cable was the issue!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back