Contribute
Register

Original No Trim SSD, weeks later little space Trim Enabled - how free memory up?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Motherboard
Mavericks
CPU
Intel i7 3770
Graphics
NVidia 660 Ti
Mac
  1. 0
Classic Mac
  1. 0
Mobile Phone
  1. 0
When I built my Hackintosh (Mountain Lion) I did not enable TRIM on my SSD (SanDisk 120GB). It was built in I thought. Well after my drive started to slow down and I am left with on 1/12 of its original space I have TRIM enabled. How do I get me space back?

I thought I would try the erase free space option in disk utility, but it is blocked out. I also read this is a quick way to destroy the life out of your SSD? Is this true? How do I free up the space and not destroy life from my SSD and maintain the best performance from my SSD?

Thanks in advance.

I have Trim enabled now with latest Multibeast, but still have 1/12 of my drive space available, how do I free up the cells that are not used but filled? I do not even know if I am asking the question with the right words. But if someone understands, please help.

To check hibernatemode:

pmset -g | grep hibernatemode

Check Hibernate Mode. This uses a lot of space if set to 3.

TRIM affects the drive's internal garbage-collection routines, but if the OS is telling you that there's 1/12th of the space left, then it's at a higher level than that, and completely independent of TRIM. There are files taking up space on your drive.

The sleepimage file (same size as your RAM) is a big one (as noted, pmset is the key here: I have notes in my build posts about this) which if you had 32 GB of RAM would be taking up 1/4 of your SSD. But there will be other files taking up space too.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back