Graphics
ATI 560
Mac
  1. Mac Pro
Classic Mac
  1. Portable
Mobile Phone
  1. Android
Hi , right now i have the original CPU fan that came with the i7 920-2.66ghz , is it OK if i OC the Hackintosh? how up can i push it [ 21x 133 to ??? ] , also i am thinking in buying a Coolermaster V8 , CPU cooler, is it good for OC? How up can i push with the V8? is it Louder or Quieter than the Stock Intel 920 Fan? Thnx ! sorry for my english

In my opinion, stock-coolers are good for nothing :p
They dont cool any good and they are noizy.

I would not use any stock-cooler for overclocking.

+1

Stock coolers are garbage. I was looking at the coolers you mentioned but I went with the well reviewed Noctua nh-u12p. I'm at a modest 3.7ghz and never see anything higher than 58-59 under prime95 small tfts. Ambient temp is on the warmer side as well.

It's quiet considering it has two 120mm fans on it and takes care to see my CPU is cool. The i5 is no stranger to achieving 4gz with a quality air cooler but i didn't want to get greedy. I'll put it into overdrive when the time comes.

But as for a cooler the noctua is the one I chose just as they released their next version and i took advantage of the price drop.

mmm. thnx . how loud is the noctua ? is it louder than the stock intel fan ?

ar13 said:

Only a tractor is louder than stock :D

Seriously though, you might want to take a look at the Mugen-2 Rev.B...
IMO, Best performance/price ! (Much cheaper than the Noctua too)

ar13 said:

Noctua is very quiet. In fact, if you don't OC it can be a passive cooler or you can use only one of the two 120mm fans that are included. These 120mm Noctua fans are amongst the quietest you can get, but pricey.

Both of my 120mm fans are operating at 100% and it's not loud at all. It includes a wire adapter that lowers the RPMs to make them even quieter. Unfortunately, since they are standard 120mm fans, there is no 4th pin for RPM control; just your standard three pin power connector.

My stock 5870 fan is loud as sin though; it makes most of the noise... want to get an aftermarket cooler + vrm as well.

Noctuas are not cheap though but you get what you pay for. Mugen coolers are an excellent choice as well and cost less as mentioned.

H70 with out-in fan still give me 79deg i5-750 @ 4.0ghz....... but hey, this is hot asian region and im not on air conditioned room....

My i5-760 OC'd to about 3.4 no sweat with the stock cooler with a bit of thermal paste. It wasn't even good stuff, it was left over form another stock cpu years ago, but the original paste is barely even there on the stock cooler. I've since put in a $30 Coolermaster 212 and now I'm at a stable 4.2. It's well worth it

The stock cooler for the 1336 boards are weak. You might get a 160bclck at x20 or so.

If you get an aftermarket, try a downward blowing fan to keep your mb cool. Those stand up ones just blow air out the back and let the northbridge chip to overheat and cause random errors/crashes.

You could get an aftermarket NB cooler if you choose the upright coolers.

Thermalright AXP-140
http://www.thermalright.com/products/in ... data&id=99

or

Prolimatech samuel 17
http://www.prolimatech.com/en/products/ ... 157&page=1

are good choices.

Good Luck
-=Mark=-

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back