Contribute
Register

ORIGIN PC able to run OS X Mountain Lion?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Mac
  1. 0
Classic Mac
  1. 0
Mobile Phone
  1. 0
I have tried "googleing" the compatibly of an ORIGIN PC and it running OS X Mountain Lion and found nothing. Does anyone know of the compatibly? Would I be better off just buying a Mac Pro? I would think the ORIGIN PC would be cheeper and be more custom. Is this guide saying that if I have an intel processer that I can run OS X Mountain Lion?

I have tried "googleing" the compatibly of an ORIGIN PC and it running OS X Mountain Lion and found nothing. Does anyone know of the compatibly? Would I be better off just buying a Mac Pro? I would think the ORIGIN PC would be cheeper and be more custom. Is this guide saying that if I have an intel processer that I can run OS X Mountain Lion?

If you want to save a lot of cash and have a very capable CustoMac you can build your own. I specced out a basic build that
would be compatible on the Origin site and they would charge you 1300 dollars. You could do the exact same build yourself
for under 700 dollars. Just buy the components at either Newegg or Amazon and watch some videos online about how to
build a pc.
TRS 2013-05-17 at 8.10.42 PM.png

Attached is what they charge for a Prodigy build with an I5-3570K and an Asus mini-itx motherboard. They
also make you purchase a copy of Windoze when they build one for you.

Thanks for your response. As I am 15 my parents (trying to prevent me from wasting money) keep being on the negative side of things for building one ("what if it doesn't work? You just wasted a lot of money.") That's the main reason that I was looking at ORIGIN PC. I know it costs more but I think that my parents would feel better if I bought a prebuilt one. Also, can I use ANY computer running Intel to run OS X Mountain Lion? (more specifically the Intel based ORIGIN PCs)

Thanks for your response. As I am 15 my parents (trying to prevent me from wasting money) keep being on the negative side of things for building one ("what if it doesn't work? You just wasted a lot of money.") That's the main reason that I was looking at ORIGIN PC. I know it costs more but I think that my parents would feel better if I bought a prebuilt one. Also, can I use ANY computer running Intel to run OS X Mountain Lion? (more specifically the Intel based ORIGIN PCs)

Yes, it must have an intel cpu and socket 1155 motherboard that is compatible. Best choice would be one of the
Gigabyte boards currently listed in the Buyer's guide. They are super easy to get working if you follow
the guides on this site.

You could have SuperBiiz build you a compatible PC for much less money. Look at their site and call them on the
phone as well to talk about what you'd like. They'll customize any way you want. They are in California.

https://www.superbiiz.com/system_conf.php?preid=168

Here's of an example of a build that would be 100% compatible and very capable for less than 800 dollars.

TRS 2013-05-18 at 11.46.05 AM.png
$764.25 plus shipping. They will assemble it for free when you use the code: superbiiz at checkout.
Click on the attachment to see it full size. This doesn't include a graphics card but it's easy to add one later on yourself.

Ask for help in the appropriate forum if you need it. Best of Luck :thumbup:

Thank you trs96, you have been very helpful. I do see a price difference between the two. I also do want a dual-boot of Windows 7 and OS X Mountain Lion, so that's also why I was looking at the ORIGIN PC as it comes with Windows 7. Would there be a way to have 2 SSDs and 2 HHDs, one SSD would have Windows 7 on it and the other OS X, and both HDDs configured into a RAID 0? Can I do this setup on either ORIGIN PC or SuperBiiz? The HDDs would have to be accessible to both Windows and OS X. This would be my first hackintosh so I want to make sure I do it right.

Thank you trs96, you have been very helpful. I do see a price difference between the two. I also do want a dual-boot of Windows 7 and OS X Mountain Lion, so that's also why I was looking at the ORIGIN PC as it comes with Windows 7. Would there be a way to have 2 SSDs and 2 HHDs, one SSD would have Windows 7 on it and the other OS X, and both HDDs configured into a RAID 0? Can I do this setup on either ORIGIN PC or SuperBiiz? The HDDs would have to be accessible to both Windows and OS X. This would be my first hackintosh so I want to make sure I do it right.

They way to do that would be to have two smaller SSDs either 64 or 128 gb, one for each OS. and then a HDD for each OS as
well. You could configure the hard drives to be read and writable in OS X or Windows. You can do all this yourself if you're
willing to learn about setting up your PC. Neither of the two PC builders will install OS X for you so you'll have to do that
yourself with the software tools on this site. Why not just install your own OEM copy of Win 7 as well ? It's incredibly easy.

I would advise that you search the forum threads for detailed info on how to do this. If you're going to operate a CustoMac
you'll need to learn these things anyway. Look at the dual booting threads and those on how to partition hard drives for
OS X and Win7. If you do mess anything up you'll always get a second chance with a reinstall of Windows and OS X
because you'll have the disc and Unibeast USB drive to reinstall from. Best of Luck TRS

PS Don't bother setting up the two hard drives in raid. The two SSDs will make your build plenty fast. I always go with either
Samsung or Crucial M4 SSDs they've always held up well and are fast. A Raid 0 setup will give you nothing but :banghead: and really
won't make much noticeable difference in how your CustoMac performs. I'm assuming that you want more speed rather than
extra data security when there is a drive failure. (raid 1)

Follows is an example of the best bang for your buck gaming build with Win 7 you could do for $1300 or so dollars.

TRS 2013-05-19 at 7.20.33 AM.png

You can swap out the 660 card for a different brand name like Asus or EVGA if you'd like for about the same price.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back