Contribute
Register

Orange HD Icons :(

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: Orange HD Icons OTHER METHOD

I know this ORANGE ICON discussion is "as-old-as-the-hills", on many forums... yet I have to add an observation on my system using the mentioned "IOAHCIBlockStorageInjector.kext".

I always assumed this kext effected only cosmetics, not actual functionality, BUT regarding Hot-Swap on my machine this seems not to be the case. I use all the GSATA Ports (1,2,3) on my P55-UD5 board for hot-swapping... the BlockStorageInjector seems to mess up the reliability of hot-swapping. Once I eject a disk, that port is "blocked", a new disk will not be mounted (hot-swapped) on that port until next re-boot.

So I removed the IOAHCIBlockStorageInjector.kext and use this other, rather basic solution for getting rid of the Orange Icons, NO additional Kexts needed, using terminal commands, and behold: the hot-swap works perfect, go figure. Can anyone else confirm this behavior?

Here the Terminal Commands to switch off the orange(external) icons. Don't forget to repair permissions on the IOStorageFamily.kext... and delete the IOAHCIBlockStorageInjector.kext!

# Type (all in one go without using the Return key, use space instead of line-break):

mv /System/Library/Extensions/IOStorageFamily.kext/Contents/Resources/External.icns /System/Library/Extensions/IOStorageFamily.kext/Contents/Resources/External.icns.back

Then hit the ‘Return’ key.
# Type (again, all in one go without using the Return key):

cp /System/Library/Extensions/IOStorageFamily.kext/Contents/Resources/Internal.icns /System/Library/Extensions/IOStorageFamily.kext/Contents/Resources/External.icns

Very strange but I solved this problem with adding a -f to my boot options. The harddrives are now silver again :)

ninetto said:
Here the Terminal Commands to switch off the orange(external) icons. Don't forget to repair permissions on the IOStorageFamily.kext... and delete the IOAHCIBlockStorageInjector.kext!

# Type (all in one go without using the Return key, use space instead of line-break):

mv /System/Library/Extensions/IOStorageFamily.kext/Contents/Resources/External.icns /System/Library/Extensions/IOStorageFamily.kext/Contents/Resources/External.icns.back

Then hit the ‘Return’ key.
# Type (again, all in one go without using the Return key):

cp /System/Library/Extensions/IOStorageFamily.kext/Contents/Resources/Internal.icns /System/Library/Extensions/IOStorageFamily.kext/Contents/Resources/External.icns

Ninetto,
I wouldn't do this, as it will make all your external drives look as internal as well...

An alternative (and safer method would be):
cp /System/Library/Extensions/IOStorageFamily.kext/Contents/Resources/Internal.icns /.VolumeIcon.icns

See viewtopic.php?f=7&t=2754 for a GUI-based way of doing this...

Lnx2Mac

Ninetto,
I wouldn't do this, as it will make all your external drives look as internal as well...
Lnx2Mac

Thanks for the other method, but in fact not all my external drives show up as internal, just the ones on the Sata controller which is fine by me...
i.e. Firewire and USB drive show as external.

And hot-swap works as it should, which was the main issue.

greetinz, ninetto

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back