1. MacBook Air
  2. Mac mini
Classic Mac
  1. 128K
  2. Lisa
  3. Plus
  4. Power Mac
  5. SE/30
A lower powered version Kaby Lake processor. This machine is so quiet, I can't hear the fan running. The PCIe M.2 SSD works flawlessly at x4. Plenty of performance for a server that stays on all the time. This is a computer that has no comparable Apple product, so no SIMBIOS is a perfect match. Fortunately, WhateverGreen and Lilu handle everything. Strangely, the 'About this Mac' reports a Core i7 processor. Probably something to fix within ACPI, but it's purely cosmetic.

CPU: I3-7100T with HD630 integrated graphics (Intel Iris Plus Graphics 655 - Mobile!),
ALC3234 audio,
Realtek RTL8111HSD-CG GigEth,
USB3.1, USB2 front panel,
USB3.1, USB2 rear panel,
HDMI,
DisplayPort,
PCIe M.2 SSD,
Bios 1.22.1 - latest as of 2022-10-17
OpenCore: 0.8.6
SMBIOS: iMac 18,1
SMBIOS that does not work: Macmini8,1

Dortania Guide for everything in setup: see https://dortania.github.io/OpenCore-Install-Guide/config.plist/kaby-lake.html

What's working:
  • ethernet
  • audio
  • dual monitors (1920x1080) - a bit of a subtlety here, consistent with other people have experienced with dual monitors on 3050 variants. I could not get dual HDMI monitors to function. It would always cause a hang half way through the Apple boot screen. However, plugging a DP or DVI monitor into the DP port on the 3050 and an HDMI monitor into the HDMI monitor would result in both monitors working. This is my daily setup that has been solid from the start. A single DVI monitor plugged into the HDMI port functions, but to get dual monitors. I did not have to do any framebuffer patching. After reading a dozen descriptions about how to configure framebuffer within config.plist, I succeeded with a hardware solution - connect the proper cable to the correct port on the 3050. That was a painful 3 hour lesson.
What's not working:
  • Wifi and bluetooth - my computer was barebones, not including a drive or wireless card. Since I operate with hardwire ethernet, no need to test wireless. I would expect the same challenges as with other non-Apple wifi cards.
  • Sleep/wake - my computer is always on, so no need to test. I assume that HD630 iGPU will cause problems here as elsewhere.
  • Airdrop - no bluetooth
  • iMessage - never use it, but I suspect getting a working WiFi/Bluetooth card would allow this
  • Sidecar - while Sidecar shows up in System Preferences, I couldn't get a modern iPad to communicate when plugged in via a USB cable
  • Microphone - others have mentioned this is a challenge. I don't need a microphone, so I disabled it in the BIOS
Get the EFI file at https://github.com/1rocketdude/Optiplex_3050_SFF

how I got to my config is a bit of a blur... Tried so many things. Not sure which ones are required and not. Once I got booting AND dual monitors, I sort of gave up removing things. The build has been stable for 2 weeks now. I'm happy to remove/change the ones that are not appropriate. If you have suggestions, please send them along. Let's iterate until we get the best config. I'll update the EFI posting.
Untitled.jpg

Hi Rocketdude - so after some scouring and testing I was able to answer some of my own questions on your configuration. When you have a bit of time take a look at the attached EFI. I've updated the SSDT's and changed some of the patches. I also eliminated several of the boot flags as well.

I understand the blur as there is not really a clear - concise opencore guide for these hacks. What I have found is that the Dortania Opencore guide will get you 90% there but the Optiplex needs a couple tweaks that are not readily published in the guide. I'm guessing you ran into the same issue. Since we are on the same bios I am guessing you could almost drop this EFI in and it will "plug and play". I think the biggest hidden issue with this hack was needing to patch the interrupts under ACPI. The guide does not address this as this is specific to the Optiplex. I had to use all 4 patches you had in your config and I generated the SSDT-HPET with SSDTime.

Here are the hidden bios variables I modified with modGrubShell. *****But as noted below by trs96 - these may vary for your model ******

(These settings are for bios 1.22.1 Dell Optiplex 5050)

Cfg Lock 04ED ----> 0x0
DVMT 0x795----> 0x2
EHCI Handoff 0x2 ----> 0x1
XHCI Handoff 0x1B ----> 0x1

The only thing I do not have resolved is getting the display to wake after sleep. Apparently this is a Intel HD630 ongoing issue. I just discovered this problem so I'm not sure there is even a fix for this. I'd like to write a nice guide for the machine but I really like to get the display wake issue resolved. That is the only issue I am seeing at this time. If you have any ideas or solutions let me know. Take a look at the EFI and let me know what you think. Platform serials have been stripped
I tried your EFI and it didn't even boot my 3050. I haven't dug into the details of why. While they should be the same mobo, bios, etc., I'm surprised that it wouldn't even boot.

I tried your EFI and it didn't even boot my 3050. While they should be the same mobo, bios, etc., I'm surprised that it wouldn't even boot.
They each use a different Intel chipset among other differences. I made up unique EFI folders for my 3020 and 7020 Optiplex machines, they are similar but not interchangeable. The 3020 was H81 chipset and the 7020 was Q87. They each had a separate BIOS as well. CFG lock settings (hidden) were different. Each one needs it's own specific USB ports kext too.

Screen Shot 31.jpg

I have been working for a couple days trying to get a 5050 Optiplex 7th Gen to boot to the Big Sur Installer.
Jeff has also not even stated which form factor Dell 5050 he has. Is it 5050M or SFF or MT ?? It does make a difference.

Last edited:
You can try my EFI for my Optiplex 3050.

DVMT prealloc set to 64MB with Grub Shell
CFG Lock disabled with Grub Shell
You can access Grub Shell from OpenCore boot menu. Press space bar to see the option.
DW1560 Wi-Fi and Bluetooth working
IGPU working

Wake from sleep is the only thing not working. Not sure if it's possible to get it working...

Attachments

• EFI OpenCore 0.8.7 Optiplex 3050.zip
    23 MB · Views: 289
Thanks for that comparison between 3050 and 5050. I had no idea that the chipset was different! So, we have lots of opportunity to provide starting points for EFI folders.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back