Not open for further replies.
Motherboard
Asus Z270E
CPU
i7-7700K
Graphics
GTX 1070
Hello guys ! :D

I just wanted to know why there was no (or atleast in appearence) work to port Optimus on MacOS. I mean that the Hackintosh seems to become more and more supported. And I think that Optimus is the only thing that didn't get port to MacOS. I know there are a lot of work to make more Wifi card compatible, but we know how to change one and wich one work.

I think that a hackintosh with power and battery life is the only missing hackintosh build.

There are a different port of Optimus on Linux, and we seems to know how to activate/desactivate the Nvidia card, so I don't know why there is no way to use it on macOS?

Thanks you :wave:

Looks like windows will get it first and we'll have to wait until iMac in October at the earliest? so maybe MAcOS 10.13

Motherboards that will be supporting will be Xeon type 236 and Z270 first off, not sure about Skylake and Kabylake X, which are now due in June/July the earliest which is the X299 platform

OS X doesn't support this technology at all, so it would require comprehensive modifications to Apple's proprietary drivers, which doesn't sound funny to me.

Yes of course ! But this would be a big change to hackintosh world ! We can even imagine Patreon to motivate developpers, like some emulator do. I'm sure that a lot of people will be happy to use it.

Looks like windows will get it first and we'll have to wait until iMac in October at the earliest? so maybe MAcOS 10.13

Motherboards that will be supporting will be Xeon type 236 and Z270 first off, not sure about Skylake and Kabylake X, which are now due in June/July the earliest which is the X299 platform

I don't understand what are you saying, the new motherboard will support Optimus?

ooops sorry i searched optane not optimus.... :banghead:

Yes of course ! But this would be a big change to hackintosh world ! We can even imagine Patreon to motivate developpers, like some emulator do. I'm sure that a lot of people will be happy to use it.

From my personal experience I don't expect it to happen, unless Apple starts using Optimus themselves.
Hackintoshing is most fun when using a vanilla OS X with only minor tweaks/hacks, otherwise it gets impossible to maintain. Reverse engineering Apple's driver stack and implementing Nvidia's proprietary Optimus stuff would be an insane job.

Mac OS is not far away to Linux nop ? There has Optimus port to Linux, like Bumblebee, some MacBook can switch the card, why we can't intercept these triggers ?

I hope someone will try to port it, just post about it on ****** or here, I'm sure a lot of people will gie some $$ on platform like Patreon.

Mac OS is not far away to Linux nop ? There has Optimus port to Linux, like Bumblebee, some MacBook can switch the card, why we can't intercept these triggers ?

I hope someone will try to port it, just post about it on ****** or here, I'm sure a lot of people will gie some $$ on platform like Patreon.

MacOS and Linux aren't really related at all when it comes to this stuff. Things like bumblebee and PRIME rely on multiple complex subsystems within Linux that may not even exist in MacOS, or if they do aren't really publicly documented. Also the output switching in MacBooks isn't related to optimus at all, the hardware implementations are completely different.

There would be no 'porting' involved here, it would be a 100% completely from scratch thing involving some very low level parts of macOS.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back