Motherboard
Probook 4540s
CPU
i7-3632QM
Graphics
HD 7650m
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
I am sorry as this is not related to Mac at all but I'd like to use the knowledge and experience of this community.

I replaced main HDD with SSD and put HDD with caddy in optical bay in my probook as many others have done. Everything works great until I heard a clicking sound (called clicks of death probably) from caddy side. I immediately switched to another caddy I had but again clicking sound.

The frequency of clicking so far is just 4 - 5 times per day randomly. I have changed 3 different caddies as I thought its caddy incompatibility but looks like its another issue. Any thoughts guys?

1. The fact that I have a lemon laptop as it feels like?
2. Optical bay is not utilizing power enough to run HDD?
3. Operating system shuts down drive in optical bay to reduce power consumption?
4. Caddy issue or the port is damaged?

Regards,

I am sorry as this is not related to Mac at all but I'd like to use the knowledge and experience of this community.

I replaced main HDD with SSD and put HDD with caddy in optical bay in my probook as many others have done. Everything works great until I heard a clicking sound (called clicks of death probably) from caddy side. I immediately switched to another caddy I had but again clicking sound.

The frequency of clicking so far is just 4 - 5 times per day randomly. I have changed 3 different caddies as I thought its caddy incompatibility but looks like its another issue. Any thoughts guys?

1. The fact that I have a lemon laptop as it feels like?
2. Optical bay is not utilizing power enough to run HDD?
3. Operating system shuts down drive in optical bay to reduce power consumption?
4. Caddy issue or the port is damaged?

Regards,

Some HDDs make that noise when the heads are parked. But it could also be a failing HDD.

Some HDDs make that noise when the heads are parked. But it could also be a failing HDD.

Never heard this sound when this HDD was on main HDD bay. Also it would never park while listening to songs from that HDD and yet you hear the clicking.
I suspect the optical bay port or caddies

Never heard this sound when this HDD was on main HDD bay. Also it would never park while listening to songs from that HDD and yet you hear the clicking.
I suspect the optical bay port or caddies

There is a bit more sound insulation in the main bay, but you could always switch them and see.
You could also experiment with SysPrefs->Energy Saver->"Put hard disks to sleep when possible"

There is a bit more sound insulation in the main bay, but you could always switch them and see.
You could also experiment with SysPrefs->Energy Saver->"Put hard disks to sleep when possible"

That loud clicking sound is different from,
1. When HDD is put to sleep on either OS
2. When park/offline
3. When writing data
4. When shutdown

It sounds like your cut the power suddenly on one of those desktop pc with old HDD.

Cleaned the board though, bring out optical bay port, remove any possible dust. So far only one click of death. switched as well and HDD seems perfectly fine, no clicking.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back