MSI 6850HD
Mac
  1. 0
Classic Mac
  1. 0
Mobile Phone
  1. 0
Hi!

Is Gigabyte z68x-ud4-b3 good for Mountain Lion with 2600K and MSI R6850HD GPU?

With the small exception that you're most likely not going to be able to install with that graphics card, yes, your system should work. Apple changed something in ML so the AMD cards aren't working during install, although they're fine once you got the OS installed.

Hi!

Thanks for the reply, well I have one more query.

I have 4x4GB RAMs that I want to use with MAC, actually the issue is that they both are of different model. Two are Corsiar CMZ8GX3M2A1600C9 and the other two are Corsair CMX4GX3M1A1600C9.

Will this work at a time simultaneously, or I need to use one pair at a time?

Thanks
Arjun

It's all DDR3 1600MHz CAS9, so yes, it'll work as they're rated at the same speed and latency.
The only concern is that the XMS3 modules are 1.65V and the Vengance kit is 1.5V, so that might cause some issues.

The only concern is that the XMS3 modules are 1.65V and the Vengance kit is 1.5V, so that might cause some issues.
This is the reason why I asked this question.
When I will try to run both of them at 1.5V then XMS3 will run at 1200MHz and if I run both at 1.65V then the other one might get overclocked or might cause some issue.

I searched the documentation for 2600K and it says that RAMs with only 1.5V are recommended.

Hi!

Is Gigabyte z68x-ud4-b3 good for Mountain Lion with 2600K and MSI R6850HD GPU?

No problem. If it is not yet bought prefer Z77x.
There is a problem with HD6xx0 installation that is due to a permission problem with Ati kexts in the installer.
No problem after, R6850 is working OOB and z68 needs FakeSMC, nullpower... and specific kexts as with lion.

You can push it up to about 1.55V, but I wouldn't go over that.
You could run both sets at 1333MHz, as that should work at 1.5V.
Is advisable to use two different set of RAMs at different clock speeds, because I really need to check on how to clock RAMs at same rate with same 1.5V. I guess the later one would be difficult.

And I dont want to use power above 1.5V because my previous P8P67 got burned while using 1.65V RAM.

You can push it up to about 1.55V, but I wouldn't go over that.
You could run both sets at 1333MHz, as that should work at 1.5V.
DDR3 is normally running at 1.5v. Some user are overvolting them to get better frequency. In some case some vendors are shipping over clocked modules with an higher voltage (and a higher price).
In practice 1.6v is consider as safe. 1.65v is suspected to reduce the life of memories.
I am over clocking my memory at 1.6v and a lot of people are doing that with vengeance (a good choice for over clocking).
If you have win7 you can test with Prime95 (mixed operations) with different voltages and speeds. If it works 1 hour without BSOD or error, it is stable.

DDR3 is normally running at 1.5v. Some user are overvolting them to get better frequency. In some case some vendors are shipping over clocked modules with an higher voltage (and a higher price).
In practice 1.6v is consider as safe. 1.65v is suspected to reduce the life of memories.
I am over clocking my memory at 1.6v and a lot of people are doing that with vengeance (a good choice for over clocking).
If you have win7 you can test with Prime95 (mixed operations) with different voltages and speeds. If it works 1 hour without BSOD or error, it is stable.

Well I am a bit worried about using my older XMS RAM because the last time I used it, my motherboard caught fire, due to which I changed my RAM with my new mother board.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back