Contribute
Register

OpenCore Legacy Patcher GUI: what is this?

The reason the OpenCore Legacy Patcher tool will not run under any OS older than 10.9 is simply due to the fact that the entire implementation is written in Python, utilizing a GUI library known as "wxPython", which is simply a Python wrapper for the horrible "wxWidgets" GUI API. Why the OCLP developers decided to use Python for this I'm not sure, but alas it is not my decision of course. I have suggested that they think about re-writing the whole implementation using a much more suitable and compatible language, such as C, C++, or optimally, Objective-C, but at this point there is so much that would have to be re-written that it is simply not worth it.

When I wrote my patching tools, I went with the fully-native approach, using only Objective-C and Cocoa/AppKit libraries to ensure both the best user experience under Mac OS, and maximum OS compatibility. This is why my tools are able to run under as old as Mac OS X 10.6 Snow Leopard (minus the "in-place" installation feature of Catalina Patcher, which requires 10.11 El Capitan to work properly). Hopefully that answers your question.

Hello dosdude1
thanks so much for your brilliant coding: it works faultlessly.

Not only Apple is falling short on their promises to make it possible to repair the hardware on their devices, but I suspect they are now python's suffocating their users and software developers too. Is jailbrake becoming a necessity on computers too!?

I'm again happy to report the Macbook Pro 4,1 17" A1261 it's now up and running under 10.14.6.

Alas if this awful trend goes on for their OSs and even Mojave will become unusable I don't believe I will submit to their constrictor's rules and swap to SUSE or UBUNTU and call it a day.

Dear dosdude1, your work of olde kept an old Mac Pro going and truly made my life better. I'm sure zillions of others feel the same appreciation. Thank you!

Back