Contribute
Register

OpenCore Legacy Patcher GUI: what is this?

Motherboard
Asus Sabertooth Z77
CPU
i7-3770K
Graphics
GTX 1070
Mac
  1. MacBook Pro
Classic Mac
  1. Classic
  2. Power Mac
Mobile Phone
  1. Android
  2. iOS
Hello Guys,
maybe I'll be somewhat off topic here since I stumbled upon this app on a Macbook Pro Retina 15" 2015 with an absurdly sluggish Ventura, no screen resolution options (and it was so big you could hardly reading the menus!), no control of luminosity by the keyboard, and a few other glitches. I'm not sure the OC version installed and if it was at all properly configured: to use that machine I formatted it and installed the latest officially supported OS (up to Big Sur 11.x), and that cured it all...

Now I was thinking of running the GUI patcher on a MacBookPro 4,1 17" running the 10.8.5 but I've discovered it only supports > High Sierra OS and so I asked myself why do they call it 'Legacy' if you cannot run this app on older listed as supported macs...?

I was able to build a few Hackintosh successfully so I wanted to see if I was at least able to update the Mountain Lion to a Catalina 10.15 just for the fun, but it looks it would be simpler to build an Hackintosh than to try upgrade an Apple machine.

Hello Guys,
maybe I'll be somewhat off topic here since I stumbled upon this app on a Macbook Pro Retina 15" 2015 with an absurdly sluggish Ventura, no screen resolution options (and it was so big you could hardly reading the menus!), no control of luminosity by the keyboard, and a few other glitches. I'm not sure the OC version installed and if it was at all properly configured: to use that machine I formatted it and installed the latest officially supported OS (up to Big Sur 11.x), and that cured it all...

Now I was thinking of running the GUI patcher on a MacBookPro 4,1 17" running the 10.8.5 but I've discovered it only supports > High Sierra OS and so I asked myself why do they call it 'Legacy' if you cannot run this app on older listed as supported macs...?

I was able to build a few Hackintosh successfully so I wanted to see if I was at least able to update the Mountain Lion to a Catalina 10.15 just for the fun, but it looks it would be simpler to build an Hackintosh than to try upgrade an Apple machine.
seems a little old...

doesn't say it is supported:

I stumbled upon this app on a Macbook Pro Retina 15" 2015 with an absurdly sluggish Ventura, no screen resolution options (and it was so big you could hardly reading the menus!), no control of luminosity by the keyboard, and a few other glitches. I'm not sure the OC version installed and if it was at all properly configured: to use that machine I formatted it and installed the latest officially supported OS (up to Big Sur 11.x), and that cured it all...
I've tried OCLP on a 2012 MBP. Installed Ventura and it does work quite well. It was the i7 quad core version with a dGPU and 8GB of RAM. Any Macs older than 2011 probably won't do very well because of the hardware limitations. A Core 2 Duo trying to run Ventura isn't going to perform very well. Not worth the effort. It's called Legacy Patcher because it does support older Macs not eligible for the latest macOS. It can only go so far though.

seems a little old...

doesn't say it is supported:

Actually it is in the list of supported Macbook Pro the 4,1 is the first one, the earliest ancient machine! and still going strong (caughcaugh).

I'm not really interested to install those behemoth latest OSs from Apple, but just remain with the 10 series: graphically speaking I do not appreciate the going back to the 2D gadgets design in the GUI, but I would like to check the implementations introduced (if any) by the 10.13 to the 10.15 on older machines.

The point is the OpenCore Legacy Patcher developers although declare their commitment to support older machines running Lion upward, create a GUI that can only run with Sierra or higher: what's the use?

Anyway...

Maybe this will make my point clearer:

Attachments

• OC_BS.jpg
    OC_BS.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 91
Actually it is in the list of supported Macbook Pro the 4,1 is the first one, the earliest ancient machine! and still going strong (caughcaugh).

I'm not really interested to install those behemoth latest OSs from Apple, but just remain with the 10 series: graphically speaking I do not appreciate the going back to the 2D gadgets design in the GUI, but I would like to check the implementations introduced (if any) by the 10.13 to the 10.15 on older machines.

The point is the OpenCore Legacy Patcher developers although declare their commitment to support older machines running Lion upward, create a GUI that can only run with Sierra or higher: what's the use?

Anyway...
sorry, missed your "Pro" part

As a footnote I've found these apps that work under older native OSX (the MacbookPro4,1 si running under 10.8.5 Mountain Lion) so I will be able to upgrade up to Catalina, eventually.

If these SW work it may help those who would like to upgrade their older Apple machines, especially still running OSX up to Mavericks. Let's see how it goes!
Cheers

As a footnote I've found these apps that work under older native OSX (the MacbookPro4,1 si running under 10.8.5 Mountain Lion) so I will be able to upgrade up to Catalina, eventually.

If these SW work it may help those who would like to upgrade their older Apple machines, especially still running OSX up to Mavericks. Let's see how it goes!
Cheers
Every time an old reliable Mac is upgraded to Catalina or higher, a demon gets his wings -- so don't do it.

Do the following instead:
* Disable System Integrity Protection (you may have to look up how to do that).
* Enable "Allow apps downloaded from Anywhere" (you may have to look up how to do that).
* Upgrade (using, ideally, the dosdude1 installer rather than OCL) an earlier MacOS to MacOS Mojave, then fully update it to the last version (10.4.6)
* In Disk Utility, create a new partition (not volume) on the same or external drive that as large or larger than the OS' used-space. Partition format ype will be MacOS Extended Journaled (also known as HFS+), not APFS.
* Use Carbon Copy Cloner 4 or 5 (root around on the 'net for an older version, as v6 won't work) to clone your Mojave boot drive into the new HFS+ partition you just made. After cloning, verify your computer will boot from that partition.
* Once launched in the new partition, it's now time to use Disk Utility to erase the previous APFS partition and recreate it as MacOS Extended Journaled, the carbon copy clone back into it. (You now have to two bootable Extended partitions with Mojave, and can delete the second one if they're both on the same drive, otherwise you have a back-up.)
* Life-hack improvements: disable notifications, disable spotlight indexing, disable iCloud syncing, and disable MRT. Replace Safari with Opera or Vivaldi or some other browser, and install both Adblocker Ultimate and uBlockOrigin browser extensions. Get used to ignoring the AppStore to instead source applications and utilities elsewhere. In fact, you might never log back into an Apple ID ever again.

-- You are now enjoying the last "good" version of the MacOS that supported 32bit apps (which is like 80% of all Mac software), and doing it from with a fast partition format scheme rather than the sluggish APFS.

(Note: 2009, 2010, and 2011 iMacs are capable of running Mojave, but hardware-acceleration and/or wifi will be disabled. Until dosdude1 or OpenCore figure out a solution, stick with High Sierra. Core2duo Macbooks from 2008 onward are capable of running Mojave with hardware-acceleration.)

Hello Mike,
thanks a lot for your WISE advise: indeed I already realized Catalina is the beginning of the end for those who would like to control their rigs, and I suspect these rather intrusive policies for their paying customers was devised by those pesky software engineers that have now free reign @ Apple...

I cloned the Mountain Lion SD to another SD using those very handy external docks that can work directly without any computers' connections, and proceeded to upgrade to 10.14 Mojave following the procedures and using those apps I linked previously.
All went without problem but of 'course I had to update a few programs, disable the gatekeeper, SIP and other very annoying features they put there for your security (of course!).

I have to admit under the bonnet the Mojave seems to run this old computer in a more efficient way, and possibly even using less resources than previously.

This OSs trends that prevent users to make their choices to use their computers I suspect are strategically implemented to force you to use tablets, smartphones and those kind of devices where you are jailed in that IT prison, and kept there in complete ignorance...
:twisted:

Back