Motherboard
Gigabyte EX58 UD3R
CPU
X5650
Graphics
Asus RX580 8GB
Mac
  1. Mac Pro
My system is old! Built in 2010, EX58UD3R MB, Xeon 5650 CPU, AsusRX580 GPU.
I've finally got Monterey installed using an older version of opencore (0.6.4). The questions follow:

1. Problem is with the menu option boot screen. If I boot from the SSD the keyboard and mouse do not function (USB 2). If I boot from the USB flash stick it does function. The EFI folder on SSD and Flash stick are identical! Is there an open core selection I have missed?

2. Time Machine is not recognized in Monterey or Big Sur.

3. How can I update Opencore to the newest version...I know there is plenty of info on doing that. I really am referring to a specific issue I have not seen discussed. My system is really a Westmere (Nahelem) system and Dortania suggests the system SMBIOS that matches is MacPro 5,1 or MacPro 6,1. I need to run up to date MacOS and MacPro 6,1 has never worked on my system so...is there an approach for choosing the next best SIMBIOS for this system and how might this change the instructions for the steps in Dortania guide? I will add that my system as it stands right now will function with each of the following MacOS/bootloader configs:

Mojave 10.14.6-Clover 4911 SMBIOS MacPro5,1
Catalina 10.15.7 Clover 5146 iMac19,1
Big Sur 11.6.5 Clover 5140 iMac19,1
Monterey 12.4 Opencore 0.6.4 iMac18,1 (some issues remain as described)

iMac 19,1 has worked very well for Catalina and Big Sur but I was never able to get Monterey installed with Clover and 19,1. I got it installed with iMac18,1& older opencore but face some minor issues. I would prefer iMac19,1 if I can manage to make it functional like Catalina and Big Sur. That extends my useful time horizon.

I think perhaps updating to a more recent Opencore might solve some things (like the stuck keyboard at menu mentioned above) but how does one create a functioning new up to date Opencore when the SMBIOS is not one recommended in the Dortania guide. I hope it is not left completely to trial and error.

I recognize this is a bit of a unique question but I could really use some help. To be candid, I'm a bit older than most folks here and not as adept at solving some of these issues.

Last edited:
Let me try question #3 another way. If one is going to build opencore for a system SMBIOS which is not the recommended SMBIOS from the guide (in my case MacPro 5,1 is reccommended, but 19,1 or 18,1 might work and allow a more up to date OS) should I use the recommended settings for MacPro 5,1(and tweak from there) or the 19,1 or 18,1 settings a s a starting point to tweak from?

Let me try question #3 another way. If one is going to build opencore for a system SMBIOS which is not the recommended SMBIOS from the guide (in my case MacPro 5,1 is reccommended, but 19,1 or 18,1 might work and allow a more up to date OS) should I use the recommended settings for MacPro 5,1(and tweak from there) or the 19,1 or 18,1 settings a s a starting point to tweak from?
MacPro6,1 should work fine in Monterey

MacPro6,1 would be most suited, as it uses a Xeon CPU that lacks an IGPU.

Both iMac SMBIOS/systems expect an IGPU to be present.

For updating OpenCore you might want to look at using OC Configurator, a few people have reported the ease of updating OC while using that application.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back