Contribute
Register

Opencore bootloader suddenly not working

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thank you ts96, I'll study the guide.

Is there any possibility that I might attempt to repair the EFI folder as is, without having to re-install MacOS?

I'd be keen to understand what 'hot swap' options I might be able to consider. As mentioned, each OS is instaled to an M2 drive, (one of which is mounted under the gfx card). I do have a USB 3.2 Gen 2 port at the rear, I'm wondering if I should use this for Windows (for gaming).

Thank you ts96, I'll study the guide.

Is there any possibility that I might attempt to repair the EFI folder as is, without having to re-install MacOS?

I'd be keen to understand what 'hot swap' options I might be able to consider. As mentioned, each OS is instaled to an M2 drive, (one of which is mounted under the gfx card). I do have a USB 3.2 Gen 2 port at the rear, I'm wondering if I should use this for Windows (for gaming).
no need to reinstall macOS unless it is messed up

If you are only having issues with your EFI, then you can just fix that up

Understood. Thanks.

Could I attempt something as crude as removing the 'Microsoft' folder from the EFI folder and expect it to solve the boot issue? Or am I better off removing the 'Microsoft' folder and replacing the contents with that of the boot key?

Just being ultra-cautious as I'm worried any miss-step will render it unable to boot into my existing MacOS install.

MacOS is my priority. Once I can get that back, I'll invest in this removable M2 NVMe bay, to keep my Mac and Windows drives seprate and avoid the grief of dual booting altogether.

You can safely remove the Microsoft folder. OpenCore should boot to macOS as normal without this folder.

All it should change is you needing to use the Bios Boot Menu to select your Windows drive.

I'm back in action. Thanks for confirming Edhawk.

I removed the 'Microsoft' folder, and copied it back to the EFI folder on the Windows drive. This seems to have completely resolved the issue. I am now able to boot into MacOS or Windows as before.

Once I get my hands on the swappable M2 PCIe card, I'll use that to safely swap between MacOS and Windows drives.

As a precaution, I have now physically removed the Windows drive. However, the boot menu still includes Windows as an option. How can I edit the OC bootloader to remove this entry, is there a guide I can follow?

The phantom Windows icon will be generated by the Microsoft folder you added to your OC EFI folder. Remove the Microsoft folder and use the ResetNvramEntry.EFI option, to remove the spurious icon from your boot screen.

Thanks Edhawk. I just want to double-confirm something.

I have a text list that looks like this:

1. Windows
2. MacOs
3. Recovery 11.2.3
4. OpenShell.efi
5. Reset NVRAM

As per your suggestion, I should just select option 5.

Curiously, If I allow the the bootloader to roll into the Windows option, I see this:

PXL_20220923_082006780.jpg

Is that expected? Is that just an image stored in memory? Just curious.

Happy to proceed with your suggestion of clearing NVRAM if this still looks right to you?

Yes option 5 is correct.

The blue screen of death (BSOD) is normal if you try to boot the windows drive when the OC setup doesn’t include the Microsoft folder.

If you want to boot Windows use the F12 boot menu.

I've attempted to 'Reset NVRAM', but it appears to have no effect. When selected, the machine reboots, but the same boot options remain, Windows included.

There is no Windows drive physically connected to the machine. I've also double checked the OS EFI and there's definantly no 'Microsoft' folder in that structure any longer.

Not sure if relevant, but the BIOS 'Boot Priority' menu displays two options:

1. UFEI OS
2. Windows Boot Manager

Any ideas?

Apologies if I seem impatient, but can anyone point me in the right direction? I've searched and can't seem to find examples that map to this issue. The 'Reset NVRAM' is present as an option, but when selected, the machine reboots with no change to the menu.

Is there anything else I could attempt to clear the Windows option from the menu?

Thanks

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back