Contribute
Register

<< Solved >> OpenCore 0.9.1 compatible with Ventura 13.3.1?

I have attached a revised EFI folder for you to try. I have made a number of edits to the EFI Copy folder, as shown in the screenshots below.

View attachment 566535 EFI Copy folder contents.

View attachment 566539 EFI Rev1 folder contents.

The EFI Rev1 folder is better suited to your Z370 motherboard, as you had a number of unnecessary, misconfigured or missing elements in the original EFI folder.
  • SSDT-PMC.aml is not required for an Z370 system.
  • Your ASRock MB uses the Intel i219V Ethernet controller, so I have added IntelMausi.kext.

USBPorts.kext:
Your USBPorts.kext is a waste of space. It is set for use in an iMac14,2 system, your system uses the iMac19,1 SMBIOS.

It also activates 8 x USB ports, all of which are set as Internal USB2 header ports, with Connector Type (255).

View attachment 566538 USBPorts.kext/Contents/Info.plist showing USB Port Configuration

Your Motherboard contains the following USB ports/headers:
Rear ports:
2 x USB 2.0 Ports - Connector Type (0) (2 x Ports)
6 x USB 3.1 Gen1 Ports - Connector Type (3) (all 12 x Ports)

Internal Ports/Headers:
1 x USB 2.0 Header - Connector Type (255) (2 x Ports)
1 x USB 3.1 Gen1 Header - Connector Type (3) (all 4 x Ports)
1 x WiFi controller USB port for Bluetooth - Connector Type (255) single port.

This means your motherboard contains a total of 21 x USB ports. With a maximum of 3 ports requiring the Internal (255) connector type. Not 8 x ports as shown in the screenshot above.

Based on the above I would recommend deleting the USBPorts.kext you are currently using, as it is not fit for purpose. This is probably why you are seeing the HID errors when you boot the system.

You will need to create a new USBPorts.kext for your system.

Edits:
I have edited the config.plist to take in to account the changes in the EFI sub-folders contents and to better reflect your need for a Headless framebuffer, as you are now using the RX580 dGPU to drive your display.

Add your Serial Number to the config.plist, don't change anything else!

See if this EFI gets you booting Ventura/update.
Thanks Edhawk.
Same result.

But here's an interesting thing: it booted to a recovery volume that was on the M2 drive from the previous (failed) Ventura. I've left it re-installing, just out of curiosity.

Also, the last unsuccessful boot (from the M2, as well) put a panic.txt on the EFI volume. Not seen that before. Did you change a boot arg? And that's the origin of this problem: my Ventura 13.0 (same platform, OC0.8.1) just stopped booting.

I would recommend you check your bios settings are correct for running macOS. As the EFI I provided is based on one I use on one of my Hacks. My MSI Z370-A Pro system to Ventura 13.3.1 with that EFI and has no issues.

I added a number of boot args to the config.plist, but nothing out of the ordinary.

-v keepsyms=1 debug=0x100 alcid=1 unfairgva=1

The boot args above were added to the config.plist.

Did you use the ResetNvramEntry.efi from the OC Boot Screen? I should have mentioned that it was imperative that you did this before booting your system with the new EFI. As you need to clear out all the obsolete Nvram entries from your system, so the only Nvram entries in use are those set in the new EFI.

Did you use the ResetNvramEntry.efi from the OC Boot Screen? I should have mentioned that it was imperative that you did this before booting your system with the new EFI. As you need to clear out all the obsolete Nvram entries from your system, so the only Nvram entries in use are those set in the new EFI.
Yes, I did. But I will check it again.

I'm going to reset the BIOS to factory and redo the recommended settings.

I was a bit suspicious of my BIOS but it (still) does run Mojave perfectly well.

OK, progress of a sort and maybe a clue.

I cleared CMOS with a jumper and reset the BIOS as per instructions.

I booted from the edhawk EFI and...same result.

But, I booted again and selected the M2 instance of Ventura 13.0 (that was inaccessible hithertofore) and have started installing 13.3.1 on a new 500GB SSD from there.

So it was OK booting onto the old Ventura and not the USB installation.

I might have a way forward. I do need to reconstruct my USBKext. Not sure how it got into the state it was in. I thought I had made it with care at 13.0.

Any ideas?

So this is now resolved.
I re-made the installation USB and installed a fresh Ventura 13.3.1 on a new 500Gb SSD. Migration Assistant did the rest.
Not sure what fixed it it the end, but a clean BIOS certainly helped.

Main difference was the contribution of @Edhawk with the working EFI. I was 70% of the way there, but that's not enough. Thanks, Ed.

To summarise:
  • OC 0.9.1
  • Ventura 13.3.1 from the Appstore
  • most of the way with the OCAT tool
  • vital nuances from @Edhawk.
Yet to do:
  • create a USB kext and retrofit.

Back