Status
Not open for further replies.
Motherboard
HP elitebook 820 G3
CPU
I5-6200U
Graphics
HD 520 1366x768
Right now I have an extremely vanilla clover install using no custom dsdt or ssdt. I am pretty obsessed with only using native hardware and running it as stock as possible with the fewest kexts possible.

with that said, I’ve thought about migrating to open core. However, the installation reference custom dsdt/ssdt which I don’t want to mess with. Can this be done? If so, can anyone point me to a guide where vanilla/stock installation is the goal?

Vanilla installation refers to the actual macOS install, meaning you can boot from the same drive as a real Mac. all of your hacks and required kexts are inside your boot loader on the ESP partition. That is the best you can do aside from using a real Mac. the SSDTs are what make your PC motherboard compatible with macOS.

Vanilla installation refers to the actual macOS install, meaning you can boot from the same drive as a real Mac. all of your hacks and required kexts are inside your boot loader on the ESP partition. That is the best you can do aside from using a real Mac. the SSDTs are what make your PC motherboard compatible with macOS.

This is the current DSDT/SSDT section of my config.plist. I have made no patches to them. Sleep and power work fine. I'd like to maintain this level of simplicity in opencore. Can this be done?

<key>ACPI</key>
<dict>
<key>DSDT</key>
<dict>
<key>Debug</key>
<false/>
<key>DropOEM_DSM</key>
<false/>
<key>Name</key>
<string>DSDT.aml</string>
<key>ReuseFFFF</key>
<false/>
</dict>
<key>SSDT</key>
<dict>
<key>DropOem</key>
<false/>
<key>Generate</key>
<dict>
<key>CStates</key>
<false/>
<key>PStates</key>
<false/>
</dict>

I just switched to Opencore last week. So take my advice with a grain of salt. From what I can tell with OpenCore, you have to be a bit more explicit with your configuration, which means more SSDT files that you need to generate. This is all stuff that is happening with clover, but instead of a checkbox being clicked in Configurator, you generate an SSDT. I totally get how you don't want to have 12 different unnecessary Voodoo kexts in your S/L/E, but its not the same. Just go though the Documentation and use the tools to generate the things you need and you will have a stable system.

I just switched to Opencore last week. So take my advice with a grain of salt. From what I can tell with OpenCore, you have to be a bit more explicit with your configuration, which means more SSDT files that you need to generate. This is all stuff that is happening with clover, but instead of a checkbox being clicked in Configurator, you generate an SSDT. I totally get how you don't want to have 12 different unnecessary Voodoo kexts in your S/L/E, but its not the same. Just go though the Documentation and use the tools to generate the things you need and you will have a stable system.
What if I don’t want to generate a ssdt in opencore? Right now, I never generated one in clover and it works fine.

What if I don’t want to generate a ssdt in opencore? Right now, I never generated one in clover and it works fine.

I use an SSDT to get my USB ports configured correctly, and my motherboard has a specific issue that needs to be corrected with the RTC, and an issue with native NVRAM that is corrected with an SSDT. You might not need any of that. If I were you, I would do everything the instructions say, and then maybe see what you can function without. You can install OpenCore on a different disk or USB drive, and just go back and boot from CLOVER as you need while you get up and running. Its relatively risk free.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back