Intel Core i7-6700T
Graphics
HD 530
Mac
  1. MacBook Pro
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
Hi,

I'm building my second hackintosh, and I'd like to know if there's an easy(-iest ;)) road to use a 4K TV @ 60hz, with audio. The TV only have HDMI inputs and I'd like to keep the system power consumption minimal. I don't need a powerfull GPU (no games or GPU-intensive tasks).

With a build like this :
- Core i7 6700T (HD 530).
- Gigabyte GA-Z170X-Gaming 5.
- DisplayPort 1.2 to HDMI 2.0 4K60Hz UHD Active Adapter (link).

I'd like to know if this even works on 10.11 and/or on the upcoming 10.12 ?

Probably the best way to guarantee 4K @ 60HZ is with a discrete GPU card. If you look at your link it shows the adapter connected to a GPU. Why not just get a GPU that supports HDMI 2.0 & DP 1.2? I think you're asking if the mobo supports DP 1.4 that it can then do 4K @ 60 HZ, but that support may be tied to the CPU being able to output DP 4K @ 60HZ.

The Gaming 5 and the i7-6700T can do 4096x2304@60 Hz but the problem may be the shared 512MB of shared memory. idkfs. Will you gaming on this rig connected to your PC? Again, the problem may be the shared memory - just look at the video cards - for 4K vid many are going with 4GB of on board RAM, if not more.

Last edited:
Since HDMI 2.0 support in OS X is hit-and-miss, I'd also suggest to go for that active DP 1.2 to HDMI 2.0 adapter. Any mainboard / GPU with DP 1.2 should be sufficient. That said, you might need to play around with the Pixel Clock Patch to enable 4K@60Hz.

Thanks for your answers!

I still can get the CPU only and if I somehow cant make it work, get a discrete GPU afterwards.

Regarding the Audio through DP ? Is it working natively ? not at all ? discrete GPU required ?

Anyway I thing at this point it's safer to wait for the official release of Sierra, maybe Apple will announce new hardware (and new drivers for us) that will make what I want even easier.

Follow-up on my build

Finally got that motherboard and CPU :
- ASUS MAXIMUS VIII GENE
- i7 6700T
(+ PSU/SSD/16GB DDR4)

And everything is working fine, got my 4K TV up and running at 60Hz with Audio from the DisplayPort with a DP to HDMI 2.0 adapter.

Classic Uni/MultiBeast installation and cloverHDMI script to enable Audio over HDMI/DP.

Xcode on a 48" 4K TV is 100% awesome :eek: Plus my "mac" is now dead silent :thumbup:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back