1. iMac
  2. MacBook Air
  3. Mac Pro
Classic Mac
  1. 0
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
Hi,

After some tweaking around, I've got ML up and running.. But there is a (small) problem going on:

I only can boot my system with '-f PCIRootUID=1'. Tried tons of different things to fix it (DSDT's, repair permissions, different boot flags, etc) but without any result.

Is there a disadvantage of booting with -f? Think my mobo is a difficult one since I've read a lot of problems with it on ML.

Thanks in advance!

Hi,

After some tweaking around, I've got ML up and running.. But there is a (small) problem going on:

I only can boot my system with '-f PCIRootUID=1'. Tried tons of different things to fix it (DSDT's, repair permissions, different boot flags, etc) but without any result.

Is there a disadvantage of booting with -f? Think my mobo is a difficult one since I've read a lot of problems with it on ML.

Thanks in advance!

Tom,
You shouldn't have to boot with -f all the time. First, put the PCIRootUID=1 into your /Extra/com.chameleon.boot.plist. If you don't know how to do that, you can run MultiBeast, and there is a option in the Boot options list for that, and it'll do it for you. Chameleon Wizard also can do it for you.

As for the -f flag, you are forcing the system to rebuild the KernelCache each boot. It's going to slow down your boot considerably. After you've booted successfully into ML with just -f, go into that boot.plist file, and change the UseKernelCache=Yes to No. Again, if it's not in there, use one of the above options. Chamelon Wizard may be faster for this flag. Now, reboot with -f. Once you are back up, change the UseKernelCache flat back to yes. You should be able to boot without flags from here on out.

Thanks for your reply!

Tried your solution but that turns out in a system without USB. The funny aspact is that the -f boot will during 5 seconds and without 30 seconds.. Also tried the usbfix but without any positive result :(

Since the beginning of my ML experience I have problems with the USB. Did a USBfix install with Unibeast but that makes no difference at all. On Lion the USB was all fine and I don't need any boot flags.

Hi,

Thanks in advance!

I had the same problem on a clean install of ML, and I think I finally fixed it by reverting to the AHCI drivers from 10.7.4:
AppleAHCIPort.kext
IOAHCIFamily.kext

With a verbose boot, I was getting the dreaded "still waiting for root device" which I had only previously seen when the BIOS was set to IDE rather than AHCI, leading me to think it might be an driver controller issue rather than a corrupt cache. I lost count of how many times I rebuilt the caches and permissions prior to that, as you probably did too.

Because -f is deprecated for Lion and after (since it was a KextCache toggle), and because in my case boots are not any slower with -f on, I'm beginning to wonder whether it has any effect on KernelCache at all. Before installing the Lion AHCI drivers, I tried setting UseKernelCache=No in org.chameleon.Boot.plist, with no positive effect. If -f was toggling the KernelCache in Lion and ML systems, I would assume it would mirror the UseKernelCache functionality.

I have a pretty common motherboard and I was surprised no one else has encountered the "boots only with -f" issue. Any chance you have your Mac boot drive on SATA port 2? Mine is because I have a Windows 8 drive on the first SATA. Swapping the cables was going to be my next step if the Lion kexts didn't fix the boot.

BTW, this is also one of several solutions for the "internal DVD showing up as external" issue:
http://www.tonymacx86.com/mountain-lion-desktop-support/61616-eject-button-dont-work.html
http://www.tonymacx86.com/mountain-lion-desktop-support/60793-eject-button-ml.html

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back