Contribute
Register

Ongoing Progress - Big Sur on Gigabyte B550 Vision D - AMD Ryzen 7 3700X - Thunderbolt 3

Status
Not open for further replies.
@CaseySJ

I'm waiting for the delivery of my B550 Vision D motherboard to join this adventure. I would never have considered it if you weren't leading the way! All the time you put into the threads for the Designare builds and your work with TB3 is greatly appreciated.

@CaseySJ

I'm waiting for the delivery of my B550 Vision D motherboard to join this adventure. I would never have considered it if you weren't leading the way! All the time you put into the threads for the Designare builds and your work with TB3 is greatly appreciated.
I could use another pair of eyes focused on the last remaining issue with this board: wake-from-sleep! ;) Other than that this is a really wonderful build. My suspicion now falls on one of the kernel extensions as being partially responsible for the wake-from-sleep problem.

Will see if other B550 owners (any brand of B550) are experiencing similar issues.

The article from Eclectic Light Company shows that some people actually prefer NOT to let their systems sleep. Thankfully, we have AMDRyzenCPUPowerManagement.kext, which will throttle down the CPU when idle.

An update on wake-from-sleep:
  • Some signs of life after creating SSDT-HPET via CorpNewt's SSDTTime, adding SSDT-SBRG, and unchecking AMDRyzenCPUPowerManagement.kext.The following happens:
    • The monitor comes out of standby, which means a video signal is detected on the cable.
    • The monitor remains blank (but not black).
    • System responds to ping! Network (WiFi) is at least active at the low level.
    • System log is much closer to a normal wake log.
    • But then something triggers an avalanche of zone_map_exhaustion messages and the wake process spins.
First draft of EFI is now in Post #3.

I went through the exercise of enabling/disabling from the bottom up, re-enabling ones that stopped the boot. For me that didn't fix the sleep issue, but for others it did. After more experimenting by most users it was the consensus that it was best to leave them all enabled except for the last 4. For most this allowed sleep, even a Gigabyte Designare, but alas no joy for the Xtreme.

Re the USB ports, my MB, according to Hackintool, has 2 controllers defined as XHC0, as well as others. I don't know if this is standard on AMD but it does seem a little strange to me. There is probably a good reason for it though.

CaseySJ,

Disabling the last 4 of MmioWhitelist was on the recommendation of vit9696. If you change anything of note in BIOS, you need to re-run the list in OC debug (such as ± Above 4G, etc).

I've sporadically seen sleep work on my MSI TRX40 Creator, and think that there may be an interaction between MmioWhitelist as well as the kernel patches (and possibly the OS version; no sleep with Big Sur ß6 or ß7).

I've written a few SSDT for the USB devices to re-define XHC and XHC1-4 on the TRX40 (which help with populating Hackintool), but have not noticed any improvements with USBPort.kext files, and have not them. Do you prefer USBPort.kext over SSDTs?

You might also check whether the last Patch (algrey - mtrr_update_action - fix PAT) is needed to boot. On the TRX40, it was shown to have a significant impact on GPU function, specifically lowering FPS in Cinebench-15 by 40% when enabled. (Disabling had no other notable effect.)

And a few others were needed to get Big Sur ß7 working on the TRX40 (and likely your build). Attached is a minimum Patch list (fix PAT already removed) that can be copied and pasted into your config file to try. On the TRX40, these patches boot Mojave, Catalina and Big Sur (including the latest ß7 released last week).

-rj510 (aka iGPU)

Attachments

• BS-Min-Patches.plist.zip
    2.6 KB · Views: 73
Last edited:
@CaseySJ - How do you get such detailed logs? What is the configuration to do that? Can you please explain?

I am also just having one problem with my Hackintosh and that is Wake from Sleep, but I have an Intel Kaby Lake with UHD630 graphics... still trying to debug, but cannot get the type of logs that you are getting. Any advice on how to get such detailed logs would be great!

Thanks!

Hi @CaseySJ, I just put together my G5 Sapphire using the B550M DS3H mobo and Ryzen5 3600X. Do you have any pointers for BIOS settings?.

Hi @CaseySJ, I just put together my G5 Sapphire using the B550M DS3H mobo and Ryzen5 3600X. Do you have any pointers for BIOS settings?.
Did you disable Serial Port yet ?
Screen Shot 15.jpg

Did you disable Serial Port yet ? View attachment 488974
Yes!, I found the settings for BIOS on page #1, I have followed those apart from thunderbolt settings. I also see the patches I need to add to my installer. But I don’t have an OC installer, will this work with Clover?.

Don't think it will. Casey will have the definite answer to that.
No worries, I will try the OC build. I’ll do some reading and prepare my installer using your tutorial.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back