Contribute
Register

One USB Bus Not Working in ML

Mac
Classic Mac
Mobile Phone
Just successfully upgraded my Core Quad Dell Precision 390 build to ML... everything works great except 3 of my USB ports (one bus) aren't showing up in the system report and aren't usable. Strangely all other ports work just fine and the dead ports worked fine in Lion.

Any ideas?

Many Thanks!

Motherboard
MSI B75MA-P45
CPU
Core i3 3225
Graphics
Intel HD 4000
Mac
iMac, MacBook Pro, Mac mini
Classic Mac
PowerBook
Mobile Phone
iOS
Answering my own thread:

Deleting AppleHPET.kext is what solved it... that kext frequently causes issues with USB![/url]
I don't think that this is a good idea because Apple didn't create it just for fun but in order to fulfill a certain task. You might notice negative side effects and should better check your BIOS settings or the DSDT to find a convenient solution.

Mieze

Motherboard
Asus Maximus Formula IX
CPU
i7-7700K
Graphics
HD 630 / RX560
I don't think that this is a good idea because Apple didn't create it just for fun but in order to fulfill a certain task. You might notice negative side effects and should better check your BIOS settings or the DSDT to find a convenient solution.

Mieze
Correct. That kext deals with the HPET, or High Precision Event Timer. It is heavily used when dealing with synchronization of multimedia streams and other tasks that require the generation of hardware interrupts faster than the standard RTC (realtime clock) can manage. Relevant BIOS settings that affect it are (in addition to anything directly mentioning HPET or event timers, of course) ACPI settings, as it is ACPI that is responsible for essentially declaring the HPET to the OS, and the BIOS sets up your ACPI tables (unless modified by a DSDT!)